project 8101 => bigadv

Finally, SF pulled the trigger.
    2xQuad xeon@2.4ghz can't make 2.4 days RQB deadline.
    project 8101 -> bigadv
    by kasson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 pm

We have moved project 8101 to bigadv release
    http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21358
    Heatware: KGH
    Folding User Stats

It is hard to see a fav folder no longer able to work like it used to for FAH, for sure. I see the "cherry pickers" are hard at work to avoid that particular work unit, already.

Points are like the beach ball around the pool - they're fun, but they should never be thought of as the main attraction in the back yard. If there are high ppd work projects, doesn't it figure that there would be low ppd work projects, as well? Seems like it would be common sense, doesn't it?

They make 'em, we fold 'em. It's such a simple relationship to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    I see the "cherry pickers" are hard at work to avoid that particular work unit, already.
    Yup, I'm going to change to A3.
    Heatware: KGH
    Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    It is hard to see a fav folder no longer able to work like it used to for FAH, for sure. I see the "cherry pickers" are hard at work to avoid that particular work unit, already.

Points are like the beach ball around the pool - they're fun, but they should never be thought of as the main attraction in the back yard. If there are high ppd work projects, doesn't it figure that there would be low ppd work projects, as well? Seems like it would be common sense, doesn't it?

They make 'em, we fold 'em. It's such a simple relationship to understand.
    Common sense isn't too common any more. Just a heads up, if you happen to be one of those peeps that has the OC BIOS on your 4P rig to squeeze out that extra 12.5%, you may find temps higher and problems running the OC with these units. Not that the reward is not high enough already, or anything like that.
    Fold!..It.does.a.body.good!
    Conservatively powered by Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 16-Core Opteron 6272 - Tyan S8812, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6166HE - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 8-Core Opteron 6128 - Supermicro H8QGi-F-O, Quad 12-Core Opteron 6174 - 2 x Asus Z8NA-D6C, Dual Hex Core E5645 - 5 x EVGA Classified GeForce GTX 590

Folding User Stats

Senior Fold-a-holic
    Glad I never got the guts to go OC on mine... figured staying the course was a better option for me. Thanks for the heads up though Mac... I'll keep my eye open and check the temps when one of these comes my way.

I'm folding my second 8101 wu, and the watt meter is unchanged from the other projects, on Tanker. (which has the 6272 cpu).

It is substantially fewer ppd, but c'est la vie, I'm not the least worried about it.

the OC BIOS on your 4P rig to squeeze out that extra 12.5%, you may find temps higher and problems running the OC
    1. 12.5% has become 'old school' ("Classic OC BIOS"); new BIOS, 4P users are getting quite a bit higher (not me...yet)
    2. on 8101, users reporting 2-4C higher CPU core temps; 2C higher than 690X with my 4P, running Hyper 212+ coolers
    3. some 2P G34 and SRX users already reporting their systems are unable to meet preferred deadlines

(probably already reported here - haven't read everything yet)
    1. Supermicro H8QGi+-F, 4 X AMD Opteron 6172, Seasonic M12D 850, 32GB Ballilstix 1600, 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212+ "Musky mod", Cooler Master HAF X modified, Ubuntu;
    2. Supermicro H8QGi+-F, 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Corsair AX850, 32GB G.Skill; 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212+ "Musky mod", Cooler Master HAF 932 modified, Ubuntu;
    3. Supermicro H8QGL-iF, 2 X Opteron 6176 + 2 X 6174, 64GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Enermax Revolution 85+ 950W, 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212+ "Musky mod", Rocketfish/Lian Li modified, Ubuntu;
    4. Supermicro H8QGi+F, 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Corsair AX750, 32GB G.Skill DDR3 1333, 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212+, custom wood/metal platform, Linux

Señor Senior Member
    just on the edge of civilization, in the Mojave Desert
    This thread is an eye-opener for me, I was contemplating a 2P build, and still may very likely go ahead with it simply because I want a more powerful rig. Folding performance would still be important, but not 'everything'.
    Folding User Stats

ihrsetrdr aka Tim

Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.
    - Unknown

Tanker is currently finishing these 8101's with 71% less than the deadline time. Sounds good, but that's down from 91% with all the other projects in bigadv.

This is with 4 x 6272 and stock clocks.

Senior Fold-a-holic
    Well... I was Folding one of these. Then my HD decided to take a dive... gonna have to swap it out and reinstall tonight. Frame times were in the 14:30 range on my 4 x 6172 (stock clocks w/thekraken).

Quote Originally Posted by harlam357 View Post
    Glad I never got the guts to go OC on mine... figured staying the course was a better option for me. Thanks for the heads up though Mac... I'll keep my eye open and check the temps when one of these comes my way.
    Hi again all! man... summer time, gotta love it... any who. Yeah, I am not going to OC mine either, as I may unfortunately sell "the Thing" after the CC to fund a vacation with the family. This p8101 I was reading up on, when it was in beta, seems to be very similar to the p6903 in TPF and size... makes me wonder why the points are lower on it though? And I am glad I am not OC'ing her, as I have noticed my temps popped up with this W/U... it was a nice change in pace from the regular 6901/03 back and forth forever... but last few days it was 8101, 6900, 6901... I thought my rig was acting up for a moment!
    Current setup: Surface Pro 2
    No new rig yet :(
    My former Folding Rig: 4P AMD 6174, clicky the build log for the details HERE!!!!! She may be gone, but I will build her again!!! :p

The points on p8101 are lower, because they are closer to right than the points on p6903 and p6904. PG actually used data from a variety of machines to help determine what they should be.

THe BA points are so huge because the WUs were benchmarked on an i5. THe WUs filled the cache completely, slowing them way down, and made about 20% more than regular smp WUs. However run on a 4P machine, without any cache constraint, the BA WUs make much more than regular smp work. Even though reduced from p690x, p8101 still makes 70% more ppd than regular smp according to the data I've seen. Let me know if that data isn't correct.
    I hope this is one of the rare teams that thanks PG for the nice bonus provided by p690x, rather than whines incessantly about the loss of ppd from p8101. So far so good.
    Last edited by ChasR; 04-27-12 at 06:30 AM.

All ppd from friends and family. Many thanks to HayesK for his support and congrats on being the #1 Folder on Team 32. Special thanks to ChrisC and ColinC

Folding User Stats

No point complaints from my side of the house, folding is fun... but I am also thankful for ChasR! You good sir, are a wealth of knowledge!
    Current setup: Surface Pro 2
    No new rig yet :(
    My former Folding Rig: 4P AMD 6174, clicky the build log for the details HERE!!!!! She may be gone, but I will build her again!!! :p