• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

I have an HP G62, it was working this morning, i shut it down and stuffed it in my bag, and now all i get is a black screen. fan boot up and everything, bios is definitely not loading... I'm at work right now so i can't open it up, but it's definitely not the HDD... might test the RAM later.

According to the diagnostic, it's a CPU problem (1 blink on the cap lock).

I can open it and replace the CPU (It costs like 15 bucks on ebay)... however I don't completely trust that diagnostic, I mean how can a CPU just die like that?

could it be the mobo? this unit costs me 400, and I kindda like using it, been sticking with it for almost 2 years, if I can save it for 15 bucks I would do it, but if I have to replace the mobo, i'm better off getting another notebook for 200ish.

what ya think?

Mobo is a lot more likely than CPU, loose connection is a lot more likely than mobo.

Mobo is a lot more likely than CPU, loose connection is a lot more likely than mobo.

it's definitely not loose connection, i've reseated everything and it's still giving me the same error code. (AKA CPU damage)

so it's down to the mobo or CPU...

I've placed an order for a CPU off ebay for 20 bucks, if it's the mobo then i'll just return it and eat the shipping costs (maybe 5 bucks?).

if it's the mobo i'll just toss it, resell the CPU and ram (maybe get 50 bucks back)... keep the HDD and get a new notebook.

I think it might be the CPU though, I've had about 10X where it shut down because the CPU over heat (so it has thermal protection)... but the problem is that the thermal detection is probably off...

at any rate we'll know by friday... i hope the CPU fried. other wise the mobo is 130 bucks.

Remove battery, remove hard drive, reset RAM,

unplug A/C adapter and press power button for 30 seconds.

Keep battery out, plug in power supply, and try to turn it on...

Let me know.. I get this problem all the time...

Remove battery, remove hard drive, reset RAM,

unplug A/C adapter and press power button for 30 seconds.

Keep battery out, plug in power supply, and try to turn it on...

Let me know.. I get this problem all the time...

It's a dead mobo, i got the new chip home, sit everything back in, same thing... mobo is dead. cost to replace is 150... i'll just sell the parts and hopefully get some money back...

grabbed a TC4400 off ebay for 90 bucks shipped, it didn't have a HDD, i use my HDD from the old laptop... surprisingly booted into window (that one had an AMD CPU and this one an Intel lol).

I just did a re format just to be safe...

Back