• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6100 Voltage Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cman12

Registered
Hi everyone, new member here at overclockers. I am a big member in another forum, but I come here for extra help.

I recently upgraded my 960t to a 6100. I got it up and running, but the voltage settings in my BIOS are conflicting with standard voltage. Here is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
BIOS version: F5 (The most recent)
FX 6100
CM Hyper 212+
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25 GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
Corsair Force Series 3 90GB
WD Black 750GB
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair TX650
Asus Xonar D1 7.1
Windows 7 pro 64-bit

In BIOS, I have the following disabled:

Core Performance boost
AMD C1E Support
AMD C6 Support
Virtualization
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control
AMD APM Master Mode

In my BIOS, under M.I.T., it shows on the very bottom under the voltage settings:

CPU Voltage control: (blank)
Under that in blue lettering:
Normal CPU vCore: 1.4125

When I bump up the voltage by .025, it shows by where it says (blank) that the voltage is 1.275.

I've talked to another member on another forum and he said that the stock voltage for the 6100 is 1.35v. He has the same board and chip as me.

When I change the CPU Voltage Control to 1.40v, I go to the PC health status section in BIOS and it says my voltage is 1.34v.

I boot into windows and run CPU-z and HWmonitor. Both report the voltage at 1.34v.

Seems like voltage in MIT is conflicting with PC health status and CPU-z/HWmonitor in windows. How can I be sure which is the correct voltage?

I emailed both AMD and Gigabyte, and AMD responded saying I should disabled Line Control setting to avoid overvolting.

What should I do? I've had this chip for a couple of days and I've been dying to see what it can do.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, new member here at overclockers. I am a big member in another forum, but I come here for extra help.

I recently upgraded my 960t to a 6100. I got it up and running, but the voltage settings in my BIOS are conflicting with standard voltage. Here is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
BIOS version: F5 (The most recent)
FX 6100
CM Hyper 212+
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25 GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
Corsair Force Series 3 90GB
WD Black 750GB
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair TX650
Asus Xonar D1 7.1
Windows 7 pro 64-bit

In BIOS, I have the following disabled:

Core Performance boost
AMD C1E Support
AMD C6 Support
Virtualization
AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control
AMD APM Master Mode

In my BIOS, under M.I.T., it shows on the very bottom under the voltage settings:

CPU Voltage control: (blank)
Under that in blue lettering:
Normal CPU vCore: 1.4125

When I bump up the voltage by .025, it shows by where it says (blank) that the voltage is 1.275.

I've talked to another member on another forum and he said that the stock voltage for the 6100 is 1.35v. He has the same board and chip as me.

When I change the CPU Voltage Control to 1.40v, I go to the PC health status section in BIOS and it says my voltage is 1.34v.

I boot into windows and run CPU-z and HWmonitor. Both report the voltage at 1.34v.

Seems like voltage in MIT is conflicting with PC health status and CPU-z/HWmonitor in windows. How can I be sure which is the correct voltage?

I emailed both AMD and Gigabyte, and AMD responded saying I should disabled Line Control setting to avoid overvolting.

I think you meant to say, Load Line Calibration. What AMD said is exactly what I was thinking is the reason the voltages are being reported differently than what you set them to in bios. But I would not necessarily disable LLC. It can be a beneficial thing. It supplements the voltage you declare in bios so as to offset "vdrop" and "vdroop" which refer to the natural tendency for voltages to fall off under Windows idle load and stress load, respectively. This helps the CPU remain stable, especially under high stress load without having to employ excessively high voltages even at idle. What you need to do is to run Prime95 blend for about 20 minutes with HWMonitor open on your desktop and watch the vcore min, max and current voltages to see what you actually have with LLC in place or without it in place.

What should I do? I've had this chip for a couple of days and I've been dying to see what it can do.

Thanks!

At idle, its 1.34v. At load, its 1.31v.

Where is load line control/calibration? Cannot find it anywhere in my BIOS.

1. Not a lot is being said anymore about the Gigabyte 970 series of boards of which there were three and all in Revision 1.0 at this time.

2. Voltages and LLC were and still are an issue if you are reading with software.

3. Gigabyte Techs will respond that Cpu Votage circuit is designed to AMD spec for voltage control of Vdroop and Vdrop.

4. The more sophisticated 990X and 990FX motherboards are in REV 1.2 for control better control of Vdrop and Vdroop and such is NOT so for 970 Series of motherboards.

5. F5 Bios = Update CPU AGESA 1.2.0.2 = the main thing done to bios F5.

6.. IF that board has LLC at all it might be found as follows >> LLC setting isn't under the voltage menu, its under advanced CPU settings or something. << You might find it there but I do n0t really think the cheaper Gigabyte 970 boards have LLC and it working.

7. If you want to try and stabilize CPU voltage a bit (reduce vdroop) try upping CPU PLL. Not sure if the 970 series has CPU PLL setting but that seems the only 'tip' given for the cheaper boards.

That is about it after hours of g00gling that cheaper 970 chipset board. The board was just not built as sophisticated as the 990X/FX boards nor was it released in later Revisions to overcome some of the earlier Gigabyte Voltage issues.

Back