Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75
  1. #1
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224

    Need advise on the i5-3570k

    Greetings guys,

    I need an advise from you guys who are more knowledgeable on the upcoming ivy bridge.

    Which mobo+mem should I get for the upcoming ivy bridge? Please consider my budget $230 for mem+board.

    I really don't know which should I get that would be best for my upcomin i5-3570k. G.skill - an 8cas 1600mhz 1.5v or an 9cas 2133mhz 1.65v or 9cas 1866mhz 1.5v. I'll be thinking on what you guys suggest and might take it instead.

    I will be doing a overclock, probably 4.2-4.6ghz.

    It will be more likely that I'll go for the i5-3570k than the i7-3770k due to the lack of money ;p

    Also, could you guys please approximate the % performance increase that I will gain from my old 1055T?

    I appreciate your help guys.

    Thanks
    CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz 1.28v
    Cooler: NH-D14
    Memory: G.skill Ripjaw X 2x4GB 2133mhz 1.65v 9cas
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H
    GPU: GTX 480 @ stock (Other one is on its way)
    Storage: WD 1TB SATA III
    PSU: Corsair tx 950W
    Case: Custom Black&Yellow Antec 900 Black Steel

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    To be honest, now might be a good time to get something like a 2500k, it overclocks like a champ without the imense heat which you'll find in the ivy bridge cpus. Talking performance they are almost the same, with one exeption being the memory controller on the ivy which is quite extreme. Is this setup for gaming?

  3. #3
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillerlama View Post
    To be honest, now might be a good time to get something like a 2500k, it overclocks like a champ without the imense heat which you'll find in the ivy bridge cpus. Talking performance they are almost the same, with one exeption being the memory controller on the ivy which is quite extreme. Is this setup for gaming?
    Thanks for the advise man. But you see I just have to go with the latest

    Yes, this setup would be mostly used for the latest pc games at extreme HD resolutions, fast video transcode, video editing, etc. Daily use basically

    Also, you mentioned about the memory controller on the ivy bridge which bugs me, please do recommend me a memory+motherboard that would be best for my budget as mentioned above

    Thinking of going with this motherboard because I seen Turn & Burn's post but what memory?

    Any advise/comments are appreciated, thanks guys.
    Last edited by Laoag24; 04-24-12 at 04:09 AM.

  4. #4
    manu2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Libreville Gabon
    Posts
    5,365
    Regarding your question about perf increase, you can have a look at this comparison (3570K will be maybe 2/3% faster than the 2500k):
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=288
    Main : P8Z68-v pro/Gen3 - 3770k@4800MHz/1.38v - NH-D14 - 2x8GB GSkill Trident X@2133/8-10-10-24/1.68v (Thanks Woomack!) - 256GB 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate Barracuda - BeQuiet 1000W - Sapphire R9 290(x) unlocked + HIS R9 290x (1100/1350)

    PC#2 : Intel DP67BG - i5 3470 - 2x4GB GSkill - M4 250GB - HiperM 1000W - 2x Sapphire Dual-X 280x
    PC#3 : SaberTooth 990FX R2.0 - FX6300@4.5GHz - Hyper212EVO - 2x4GB Corsair vengeance - Corsair Force90 - Corsair CX600M - Sapphire Dual-x 280x
    HTPC : ASUS A55BM-Plus - AMD A4-4000 - iGPU

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    I agree, as far as heat goes it really depends on the overclock. If you aren't running too much voltage through the 3570K it wont be that hot, however there is a sudden shift when increasing the voltage where the slightest voltage increase will result in a massive increase in heat. This sudden "wall" might come at different voltages which vary from cpu to cpu but according to reviews you can expect a 4,5 ghz overclock from the cpu before you need different forms of cooling. (extreme cooling). At least this is true with the 3770K cpu, someone please prove me otherwise
    Asus Sabertooth, i5 2500K, , Corsair A70, Gtx 560Ti, Xfx 750W Black, Cooler master 690 II

  6. #6
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by manu2b View Post
    Regarding your question about perf increase, you can have a look at this comparison (3570K will be maybe 2/3% faster than the 2500k):
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=288
    The i5-3570k probably only be 2 or 3% faster than the i5-2500k?





    Quote Originally Posted by thekillerlama View Post
    I agree, as far as heat goes it really depends on the overclock. If you aren't running too much voltage through the 3570K it wont be that hot, however there is a sudden shift when increasing the voltage where the slightest voltage increase will result in a massive increase in heat. This sudden "wall" might come at different voltages which vary from cpu to cpu but according to reviews you can expect a 4,5 ghz overclock from the cpu before you need different forms of cooling. (extreme cooling). At least this is true with the 3770K cpu, someone please prove me otherwise
    Do you think my NH-D14 would be sufficient enough to cool my i5-3570k @ 4.2-4.6ghz?




    Guys, I'll probably go with this motherboard + this memory.

  7. #7
    Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

    EarthDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuck in Maryland...
    Posts
    45,550
    NH-D14 will be fine for that CPU at those clocks.

    No point in 2133Mhz ram unless you are overclocking/benchmarking. DDR3 1600 will be fine for 99% of people here.

    "We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

  8. #8
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    NH-D14 will be fine for that CPU at those clocks.

    No point in 2133Mhz ram unless you are overclocking/benchmarking. DDR3 1600 will be fine for 99% of people here.
    Thanks for the advise but I'll probably go for the 2133mhz 9cas 1.65v to make me grin. Or no? should I go with a 1600mhz 8cas 1.5v for my setup?

    I will do a mild overclock probably around 4.2-4.6ghz. Is there any overclock results with the i5-3570k yet @ stock volts? How many % increase from the previous i5-2500k? 2-3% really?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    You aren't going to notice a performance difference between the 1600mhz and the 2133mhz. Benchmarking will show a very small difference, obviously, but they don't translate to anything in actual usage.

  10. #10
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post
    You aren't going to notice a performance difference between the 1600mhz and the 2133mhz. Benchmarking will show a very small difference, obviously, but they don't translate to anything in actual usage.
    Agh, I do know that. Like I said I just want to go with the 2133mhz just for the fun of it. What I am trying to say is what mem as stated above is designed best for my setup. Thanks though

  11. #11
    The Printer Guru
    SF101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    WCT ALB Canada
    Posts
    1,459
    seems like you have it all figured out already then.. why the need for advice?

    My 5 Current Rigs-Guest-Main-Work/Spare-HTPC-Laptop
    I7930@4.0GHz-Guest
    3770K@ 4.8GHz -Main
    2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
    3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
    MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
    SF101 HW BOT
    Join the Bench Team!

    GPU's ("xfire"2x R9-290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
    2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
    |8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2

  12. #12
    Member Laoag24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, Kauai
    Posts
    224
    I guess I'll just go with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series then.

    Is there any overclock results with the i5-3570k yet @ stock volts? How many % increase from the previous i5-2500k? Only 2-3%?

  13. #13
    Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

    EarthDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Stuck in Maryland...
    Posts
    45,550
    Every chip will vary. Report back with your findings on how far yours goes.

    The % increase is no different than the 3770k v 2600k.
    Last edited by EarthDog; 04-25-12 at 09:48 AM.

    "We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

  14. #14
    Member Don Karnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Laoag24 View Post
    I guess I'll just go with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series then.

    Is there any overclock results with the i5-3570k yet @ stock volts? How many % increase from the previous i5-2500k? Only 2-3%?
    4.5Ghz is my limit on stock volts. 4.6Ghz needs 1.27v in the bios and it just keeps increasing from there.


  15. Thanks!

    Laoag24 (04-25-12)

  16. #15
    Registered Cowamundo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Karnage View Post
    4.5Ghz is my limit on stock volts. 4.6Ghz needs 1.27v in the bios and it just keeps increasing from there.

    What kind of cooling do you use?

  17. #16
    Member Don Karnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowamundo View Post
    What kind of cooling do you use?
    Venom X

  18. #17
    Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    hokiealumnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    15,509
    Your stock voltage is 1.26V? Seems awfully high considering our 3770K was 1.080V. I think that board is just setting a high default Vcore, or is auto-raising it on you while you overclock.

    Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

  19. #18
    Member Don Karnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Your stock voltage is 1.26V? Seems awfully high considering our 3770K was 1.080V. I think that board is just setting a high default Vcore, or is auto-raising it on you while you overclock.
    I bought this board because I was willing to give biostar a shot and they have severely let me down. The board died on me lastnight so I ordered a Maximus V to replace it.

  20. #19
    Member wingman99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,750
    Did it die while loading the CPU or just died while using it surfing?
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3
    G.SKILL RipjawsX X.M.P. 1600MHz
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570

  21. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8
    Imho not much to gain taking 3570k over 2500k if it/s only 2-5% gain as stated above except heat.
    From my PoV all i can see is u having extreme urge to waste money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •