• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Next cooler, advice please =D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilberz

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice on my next cooler, at the moment I have a:

Antec Freezer Pro Rev 2.

This keeps me at a 'ok' 50C when the CPU is loaded up and its even overclocked from 3.1 Ghz to 4.2 Ghz

I am looking to go bigger ( cooler ) though as the Antec Freezer pro rev 2 does the job but I'd like things to be a little cooler especially when I start pushing the CPU harder.

Air or Water? I have been looking at the H100 etc and they look good, I used to have a water cooling custom set-up but got rid of that ages ago and the thought of going back there does not interest me, so the H100 would be perfect, however you can get Air coolers that will do just as well unless you manually configure the fans to blast H100 at a constant speed by not using its on-board controller ?

I'm pushing towards Air at the moment, I don't like the fact you cant have finer control over the H100 (correct me if I'm wrong) and the pre-set settings just don't really do it for me, may as well have Air. Cost wise there's not that much in it so just looking for the best solution =D

Any advice / comments welcome :thup:

Last edited:
Oh I agree as I have the 212, I was just giving another option since you had already suggested it.

A lot of people also like the True Spirit heatsinks, you can't go wrong with the 212 evo either. Also to confuse you more check out the reviews Muddocktor did on the NZXT Havik 120

not that similar. the noctua is the best out there in aircooling but its very expensive, but if you want a bang for buck performance, go with the hyper 212 evo

Sorry when I meant similar I meant the Hyper 212 Evo vs Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2

Just wanna make sure I wouldnt be replacing a like for like cooler :shrug:

no, they're not the same, according to this review(http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7-Pro-Rev-2-CPU-Cooler-Review/1164/6) at full load Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 performance is at 77c and the thermaltake frio (which has the same performance with the hyper 212 evo) is at 50c full load. that's a big difference, really big. and btw you can put a second fan if you wish on the hyper 212 evo...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrilliant ! See what I did there? :attn:

What's the clearance like for the RAM ? Plenty of room ? Yes its a big difference, will have to invest =D

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrilliant ! See what I did there? :attn:

What's the clearance like for the RAM ? Plenty of room ? Yes its a big difference, will have to invest =D

You may have a little clearance issue with the Vengeance memory, you can raise the fan slightly up the heatsink to help clear it or run the fan in a pull configuration, if only using 1 fan. I'm not sure how much that will effect the performance of the heatsink though.

it has enough clearance for ram with heatsink. here the photo of my own system being assembled with the 212 evo. as you can see that it doesn't reach the top of the ram slot.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...0917_100000108825297_1745691_1971073174_n.jpg

The heatsinks on mine have like spikes going up, may be tight ? I do have one spare DDR slot anyway so not the end of the world.

It looks massive on that pic ! To confirm it is this one ? ->>

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-034-CM

Thanks for the help, I think I would be near enough a push pull anyway with my rear back fan pulling out air anyway.. looks like it would line up =)

Back