• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

350W PSU Sufficient?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palmerrulzah

Registered
I am currently running:
GIGABYTE-H67MA
Nvidia Geforce 550 TI
12GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i3-2100 CPU 3.1GHz
With two monitors, two hdd's and a DVD Drive.

Am i currently pushing the limits with my 350W PSU?

Nope, if it's a "real" 350W unit. What's the brand/model?
550ti TDP:115W
i3-2100 TDP: 65W

Whoa... well... at stock speeds all around I would say yes..assuming the PSU puts out its rated power. Its 250W RMS, and 350W peak.

If things get wonky, the PSU is the first place I would look however.

When I said "Nope", I meant: "Nope, you are not pushing the limit".

Sorry for the (possible) misunderstanding.

And if i overclocked the fudge out of the i5?
You wont be overclocking the fudge out of that chip. You do not have an unlocked multiplier and bclk will be limited to around 105-107. That said, it should still handle it as I would imagine even at 107bclk that CPU will be at stock voltage.

And if i overclocked the fudge out of the i5?

i think what earth dog means is that 2500k you planned on upgrading to will not be able to be overclocked on that motherboard you need a p67 or p68 or z77 mobo to do that.
if i were you id get a corsair 450 or 500 if you plan the 2500k route, they are well priced, yes they are more expensive than the cheapo ones but they also are quality units and you run more of a risk of the cheap ones going out and burning everything up in the process.

i dont know how much power one of them 550's pull but i know my 2500k @ 4ghz and 6950 with a mild oc pull a little over 400 from the wall full load with p95 and furmark (monitor and stuff included) i was surprised when my kill-o-watt told me that lol and to think ive been running an 850w psu all this time ;p (had a 6970 and bought the 850 in preperation for a second 6970 but i toasted the first one so i settled for a 6950 to get me back up and goin)

Thanks WageX/manu... off to get my coffee.. :p

Spot on with your advice. ;)

i dont know how much power one of them 550's pull but i know my 2500k @ 4ghz and 6950 with a mild oc pull a little over 400 from the wall full load with p95 and furmark (monitor and stuff included) i was surprised when my kill-o-watt told me that lol and to think ive been running an 850w psu all this time ;p (had a 6970 and bought the 850 in preperation for a second 6970 but i toasted the first one so i settled for a 6950 to get me back up and goin)
One thing to note is that is an incredibly unrealistic load unless you F@H or something of the like.

With 7870's in CrossfireX using 3DMark11 combined test, GPUs at 1.299v 1200/1375, and 2600k @ 5.2Ghz 1.5v I pulled a bit over 500W at the wall with 90% efficient PSU. With one card at 1300/1450 and the same CPU clocks I hit 322W.

Last edited:
Nvidia does recommend a minimum of 400w and 24 amps on the 12v rail, while yours is only 350w with 19 amps on the 12v. It doesn't sound like its enough.

Nvidia does recommend a minimum of 400w and 24 amps on the 12v rail, while yours is only 350w with 19 amps on the 12v. It doesn't sound like its enough.
Its enough (assuming that PSU can put out its rated wattage).

Estimates like that always go high as not everyone has a quality PSU. We did the math for the major components so you can clearly see its enough.

I'd never trust HuntKey units. They're in the same no name/garbage brands as Eagle, Aereon or PowMax.... Good way to kill your system.

Back