• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help - possible low voltage.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KanagiF

Registered
I am upgrading to a Q8300 on my second computer tomorrow when it comes in shipment, but I'm wanting to get it to about 3GHZ (I've seen a lot of posts getting it to 3.3, seems to be it's limit.) It comes stock at 2.5GHZ - So I've been playing with my E8400 to try to get familiar with the settings.

However, I'm noticing whenever I notch the FSB from 342 to 360, it's fine, but anything over instantly causes a "Page File error in non-paged file area" which makes me think it's a RAM problem? I'm new to OCing but I've been reading
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316
guide on OCing for specifically Core 2's, and saw the part he talks about RAM. I run http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripja...XB4C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335273453&sr=8-5

Which would be

DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) 9-9-9-24

so he's saying 1333 /4 would be my max FSB? But I don't quite understand that since then the OCing potential would be virtually nothing...

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to proceed, or if someone has anymore useful information.

PSU Corsair 750
Mobo: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P43Twins1600
CPU: E8400, upgrading to Q8300 ( http://ark.intel.com/products/39107/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8300-(4M-Cache-2_50-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB) )
Video: nVidia 560Ti Superclocked
RAM G.Skill DDR3-1333 8GB.

I'm also confused on voltage - Would that be why I blue-screen? Do I need to turn it up to compensate the OC of the CPU? Voltage makes me "ehhhhh" when I think about changing it. But I guess as long as I stay in the
~ VID Voltage Range 0.8500V-1.3625V ~ on the Intel page I'm okay?

EDIT: FYI From what I've read the Q8300 comes with a set, and max, 7.5 multipler. Some people have lowered it to 7 and upped the FSB even more.

I also have a very nice air cooler coming in with the CPU.

EDIT 2: One of the links I found had someones exact CPU and OCCT settings posted, but not his BIOS settings - Could I steal his FSB/voltage from the pics since we have the same processor, or does mobo play a lot into it?

Last edited:
In that guide it states that your memory speed is FSB * Memory Multiplier = Memory Speed. So if you increase your FSB leaving the mutli the same you increase your ram speed. Since you only have 1333Mhz speed you are limited in overclocking a bit, yes.

That said, see if you can lower your memory speed/multiplier to take memory out of the equation.

Please post CPUz screenshot. The main screen, Memory tab, and SPD tab please.

I'm at work, at the moment. I'll post them once I'm home - Or would you rather me post them tomorrow once I install the new CPU? I imagine you'd probably want the new CPU.

So would lowered the multiplier to 6, but upping the FSB to 400MHZ be a work-around? Sadly my mobo doesn't support 1600, so I am kind of limited in an extreme sense.

(I will post CPU-Z as soon as I can.)

EDIT: On my mobos page it says

Supports FSB 1600/1333/1066/800MHz CPUs
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB and Dual Channel DDR2 1066/800/667 (4 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 16GB

But how could you get 1600 FSB with only 1333 RAM? Man, I truly don't understand what I'm messing with, obviously.

Last edited:
We would want the CPU you are talking about, yes.

I wouldnt lower the CPU multiplier no, as you would need more FSB to get to the same clocks which would of course mean faster memory speeds since Memory speed = FSB * memory multi.

Again, you would overclock...like you are doing. Try to get to 1:1 ratio (likely lowest memory multiplier) between FSB and Memory and push from there.

EarthDog - Sorry it took so long. Very busy at work. Finally got it all set up and

http://imageshack.us/g/821/mainjl.png/ is the three images ya asked for. Link is borked maybe
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

I just notched it up to about 355 (I saw 383 was the RAM I think?) and Windows opened fine. Should I do it a bit more to get it to 3GHZ like I want? Shouldn't I also do something in OCCT to make sure it isn't failing?

Also, -all- I did is up the frequency. is that bad?

EDIT: Ran OCCT - Within 5 seconds I got an error on Core 1 - I looked at the graph but I don't know what it's telling me. I'll upload it in a minute.

First error
scaled.php

Tried it again

Second Error
2012042517h17core3.png

I reset it to Factory Frequency and it went 30 minutes no errors, just ran low 50s at 100% load. What would the next step be? Do I need to up the voltage, or something else?

Last edited:
Anyone have any advice? Followed the guide but having an issue getting it 3GHZ stable. Few have gotten it to 3.4GHZ stable but I don't wanna push it. Streamed Guild Wars 2 for 6 hours last night, max temperature was 46 degrees. I feel like I should push quite a bit more out of it, but I don't know how.

Back