Gigabyte M.I.T. (BIOS overclocking) not working anymore

Strange thing happened, after running what I could call stable for a very long time without issues. My computer suddenly BSOD and rebooted, I had noticed that all overclocked setting had defaulted to stock.

No problem, just re-enable them, yeah?, well thats not the case. If I go in to my motherboard BIOS (Gigabyte X48-DS5) and then in to the M.I.T. area to make changes, if I just enable overclocking without changing a single item, the computer POST then switches off, everything is back to default in that area.

I cannot even change the strap, even if I do not enable changing the host clock.

The only way to overclock back to my good old 3400 MHz CPU clock and 1600 MHz FSB, is to use a software overclock using Easy Tune 6 slider under the tuner tab, this one setting is all I have now

My trusty aged Q9550 E0 and X48, still has 4 cores and performs well by todays standards, I am not ready to move just yet, does what I need.

I have looked around the internet for answers, I see this is not uncommon problem, and affects other gigabyte motherboards with different chipsets. Only problem is I still cannot find an answer to fix this?
    Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3.6GHz ' Asus X99 Deluxe ' Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 CL15 ' 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 ' Dell U3014

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.2GHz ' Asus P9X79 ' Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600 CL9 ' 2x Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti ' Dell U2412M

Bump.

Loyal Overclockers I haven't been here for sometime, help.
    Intel Core i7-5960X @ 3.6GHz ' Asus X99 Deluxe ' Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 CL15 ' 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 ' Dell U3014

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.2GHz ' Asus P9X79 ' Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600 CL9 ' 2x Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti ' Dell U2412M

Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,
    Case: Cooler Master Stryker
    Cpu: Intel i7 4790k - Corsair H100
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
    Gpu: Gigabyte 7950 WF3
    Ram: 4GBx2 Corsiar Vengaence Red
    SSD/HDD: 120Gb Kingston HyperX 3k , 1Tb Seagate
    PSU: Corsair Tx 750w v2
    Monitor: 39" Samsung S5
    Audio: Creative As520 5.1 / Razer Kraken 7.1
    Phereps :Razer Black Widow U. S. 2013, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Goliathus , Razer Onza

Folding User Stats

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by c00l3st View Post
    have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,
    All good ideas there. And I had a cheaper Gigabyte 775 board did much the same thing where I couldn't set any fsb manually in bios. I ended up taking the cmos battery out and shorting the cmos jumper for 3-4 hours, then installing the battery back in the socket on the board and it started working normally.

Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    muddocktor = my mentor " lol " remember the first post ive had here ? you wingman69 and some guys helped me.
    Case: Cooler Master Stryker
    Cpu: Intel i7 4790k - Corsair H100
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
    Gpu: Gigabyte 7950 WF3
    Ram: 4GBx2 Corsiar Vengaence Red
    SSD/HDD: 120Gb Kingston HyperX 3k , 1Tb Seagate
    PSU: Corsair Tx 750w v2
    Monitor: 39" Samsung S5
    Audio: Creative As520 5.1 / Razer Kraken 7.1
    Phereps :Razer Black Widow U. S. 2013, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Goliathus , Razer Onza

Folding User Stats

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried backing up my current BIOS flashing to an earlier BIOS, resetting the CMOS. All of which did not work.

However I have found the issue. Weird one it is too. One of my two external USB drives (which I have had for years), I notice the LED flashing while the motherboard took an unusally long time to POST. I pulled both the drivers out of the USB, and the M.I.T. overclocking started working like it was new. POST was real quick too.

Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer

Has slightly less legible writing
    than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by microfire View Post
    Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer
    This applies to any motherboard. I had a whole spree of fail to posts on an Asus board with because of a usb device was attached at boot time. I have also seen this on systems running stock speeds.
    Life is what you make of it, we exist for the sole purpose of existing. Dont waste the universe efforts!
    All statements, imagery, and ideas contained within any signatures are merely retold tales of fictional acts by a figment of the universe imagination.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled
    Liquid Fusion, CM 690-II, A8+6670 Dual GFX, liquid cooled
    Extreme evaporative water loop 450mm^3 water cooled beast - Incomplete