• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte M.I.T. (BIOS overclocking) not working anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Strange thing happened, after running what I could call stable for a very long time without issues. My computer suddenly BSOD and rebooted, I had noticed that all overclocked setting had defaulted to stock.

No problem, just re-enable them, yeah?, well thats not the case. If I go in to my motherboard BIOS (Gigabyte X48-DS5) and then in to the M.I.T. area to make changes, if I just enable overclocking without changing a single item, the computer POST then switches off, everything is back to default in that area.

I cannot even change the strap, even if I do not enable changing the host clock.

The only way to overclock back to my good old 3400 MHz CPU clock and 1600 MHz FSB, is to use a software overclock using Easy Tune 6 slider under the tuner tab, this one setting is all I have now :(

My trusty aged Q9550 E0 and X48, still has 4 cores and performs well by todays standards, I am not ready to move just yet, does what I need.

I have looked around the internet for answers, I see this is not uncommon problem, and affects other gigabyte motherboards with different chipsets. Only problem is I still cannot find an answer to fix this?

have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,

have you tried shorting the cmos reset pin of your mobo ? do you have a backup file of your working bios ? have you changed the bios battery ? you said its a long time. maybe its time to change the bios battery,

All good ideas there. And I had a cheaper Gigabyte 775 board did much the same thing where I couldn't set any fsb manually in bios. I ended up taking the cmos battery out and shorting the cmos jumper for 3-4 hours, then installing the battery back in the socket on the board and it started working normally.

muddocktor = my mentor " lol " remember the first post ive had here ? you wingman69 and some guys helped me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried backing up my current BIOS flashing to an earlier BIOS, resetting the CMOS. All of which did not work.

However I have found the issue. Weird one it is too. One of my two external USB drives (which I have had for years), I notice the LED flashing while the motherboard took an unusally long time to POST. I pulled both the drivers out of the USB, and the M.I.T. overclocking started working like it was new. POST was real quick too.

Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer

Just goes to show, not only on this board by other gigabyte board where the overclock feature stops working, look out for what is attached to your computer

This applies to any motherboard. I had a whole spree of fail to posts on an Asus board with because of a usb device was attached at boot time. I have also seen this on systems running stock speeds.

Back