• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED how to redownload an OEM of windows xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To use that key, you would need to use the disk that came with the system. If you don't have a restore partition or the original disks, you will have to contact the manufacturer.

it didnt come with a disk. can i <snip>? or is it a bad idea? this notebook was bought last 2009, do you think the manufacturer will still assist me with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the second time I've had to edit your posts because it breaks the rules. You seriously need to read the forum rules. :-/

You need the restore disks, which the manufacturer may or may not have -- I have no way of knowing this. Discussion of anything "else" is not allowed and against the forum rules.

Download the manual from official manufacturer web site, it should tell you how to restore the OS from the restore partition on the hard drive if there is one.

FWIW, I've used generic OEM CDs to reinstall Windows XP on countless commercial OEM machines (Dell, HP, Gateway, ad nauseum...) Never had an issue. The only caveat is that you need to have the version (pre/post SP2) which matches your key (yours is almost certainly post-SP2). See if a local shop/friend might lend you a disk; XP is so out of date, they might just give you one so that they don't have to toss it out.

FWIW, I've used generic OEM CDs to reinstall Windows XP on countless commercial OEM machines (Dell, HP, Gateway, ad nauseum...) Never had an issue. The only caveat is that you need to have the version (pre/post SP2) which matches your key (yours is almost certainly post-SP2). See if a local shop/friend might lend you a disk; XP is so out of date, they might just give you one so that they don't have to toss it out.

i still have the key intact. btw it doesn't have a optical drive (a small notebook) i think it prefers a USB boot rather than an external optical drive..:shrug:

Back