• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanity check on new build/suggestions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alinosa

It's been a while since I built a computer (see sig... exactly) and I'm finally getting serious about updating that vintage beast.

I've been doing my research and have decided to stick to Intel this time around.

The new system will definitely be a socket 1155 setup.

I Like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard (I've never owned an ASRock branded board but I read good things about them.) I like the extras it comes with specifically the USB 3.0 and SATA connections. I don't know that I will put a discrete GPU in it so the PCI-E slots don't really matter, although I would like the option later on.

I will either buy an Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge CPU, depending on which is best bang for the buck when it comes time to purchase. With the IB release I imagine a lot of people will upgrade to the brand new sexy and I might be able to get a good deal on a secondhand Gen2 i5/i7 k-series that is capable of a good overclock.

I'd like some guidance for the rest of the build (or from scratch). I want to build this for editing full HD video (having a kid turns you into a film-maker, I've found) and transcoding this video into more bandwidth friendly versions for sharing/streaming etc. Also, I'd like to take my blu-ray movies with me on travel so I will be ripping/transcoding them to watch on my ipad. (Not sure what OCForums' stance on my use of purchased media is, but I can edit this out later if necessary.)

So what should I be shopping for? I'd like to keep it around $700 but am flexible. (*She* may disagree, but meh.)

I Know I'll need the Blu-ray burner, RAM, PSU, copy of win7, etc. I have the Lian Li case that I will reuse as well as a 750GB SATA-II hard drive. I'd like to reuse the watercooling stuff too, but I'm not going to die if I can't.

I created a wishlist at newegg for what I *think* I need under the name of "alinosa tentative" (It seems to take a while to show up tho... look at wishful thinking posted 4/13/2012 if it doesn't show up.)

I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions; it has been a LONG time since I built something for myself so I am RUSTY.

Thanks!

Here's something I put together, it doesn't have a discrete video card but that's going to be really hard to get a $700 computer with an i7 to do that. You might look into forking over the money to get one but it's your choice on which one :)
picture.php

Thanks for the build up. That looks pretty much like what I set up with a few differences. Mainly: the i5 in my build versus the i7 in yours and the extreme4 mobo in my build versus the extreme6 in yours. is there a compelling reason to go with the extreme 6 over the extreme 4?

the PSU and RAM combo seems pretty good tho. I am thinking that I since RAM is inexpensive and I like to tinker with VMs that I would prefer to have 16GB. Will 8 be more than enough for this? I have 4 in my laptop and don't know that I have really used all of it. BUT using a RAM disk might help speed up my transcoding/rendering tasks.... thoughts?

Also, re: GPU... I don't intend to game on here... nothing current anyways, I have all three consoles and a 2 yr old, which means I have the means to game, but neither the time nor the tv to do so... i DO see a LOT of sesame street and have determined that I would like to see public television get more funding so i don't have to see the same segments all re-cut to together to make new episodes. I can now count (in spurts) in spanish.

Last edited:
The i7 is an awesome CPU and I just recommend it more than anything. The i5 is still a great CPU though. The i5 does not have hyperthreading though so you'll lose 4 virtual cores which are really nice to have with video rendering. The Mobo was because it's a fantastic motherboard and with the bundle it's the same price as buying the extreme4. The Ram! I almost always suggest 16 gigs of corsair vengeance but I was trying to fit your budget, so if you don't mind spending 50 bucks more totally go with 16. The GPU makes sense as the i7 2600k has intels 3000 graphics which are decent :)

Ah, the virtual cores. The reason I moved from AMD in the first place. I had not considered those. You've given me something to think about. I appreciate the help, time for more research and waiting while I save up.

Yeah no problem! And don't forget about the new Ivy Bridge processors that are coming out! 3770k will replace the 2600k :)

I have that ASROCK Extreem4 z77, and I gota say, it's the BEST BIOS interface to overclock I have used. it's a great board. Oh if you have a Microcenter near you, you can get the ASRock Extreem4 z77 board for $80 with the purchas of a CPU. I paid $80 for mine and $269 for my 2600k.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a Micro center here in San Antonio. (I wish there were one here though!)

So, it looks like a mid level board, i7 proc, 16GB of RAM. This may cost more than I thought. Meh, I haven't built a computer since before we bought our house. It's time for a new beast.

Thanks, everyone for the help and suggestions in sorting this out, I love how everyone is willing to help. It's why I keep coming back after ten years.

Last edited:
Back