• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was YOUR First Build? Share!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyChotik

My first build was in a custom case that I rigged up myself, with a little machine help from my dad at the time. (I would post pictures if I had them)
Sold the case after a year of building it, and swapped it for the case it's in now.

My first build hardware:

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz
DFI Infinity RS482/G
2GB 333MHz DDR RAM
Visiontek x1300 (Eventually got swapped for an EVGA 8800 GTS 320, that I sold last year)
(Some un-labeled 500W psu I got off ebay)

Still running strong! It's currently a media server with four 500GB hard drives, storing movies, music, videos, and all that fun stuff, running XP Pro.

Feel free to share your first build with pictures!
I'll post some after I get my camera back from my ex.

I had a 486DX2. I don't remember how much memory it had. I ran Windows 98 on it. It was a gift from someone who was getting rid of their old hardware.

The first one I built myself was:

A64 2800+ (Newcastle) 1.8Ghz @ 2.3Ghz
Some DFI board
ATI 9800 Pro flashed to XT

I had a 486DX2. I don't remember how much memory it had. I ran Windows 98 on it. It was a gift from someone who was getting rid of their old hardware.

Do you still have it? I would love to see pictures, I've only ever seen one before, and that's because my cousin had one in his closet.

The first one I built myself was:

A64 2800+ (Newcastle) 1.8Ghz @ 2.3Ghz
Some DFI board
ATI 9800 Pro flashed to XT

Sounds very familiar to my first!

First rig built by myself: Asus A7V333 with an Athlon XP2200+. 512MB on a single stick, 60GB HDD...

OLDEST build: a 386SX 16MHz that we needed at work last year to extract info from 5.25 in floppies. THAT was a fun project.

My first IBM compatible computer was a 386SX-16 made by Hyundai (like the cars, yes) with a 20 MB harddrive that fit in a 5.25 in bay. It had 8 MB of RAM and was a screamer.

*sniff* the good old days.... yeah right. my phone has more power than that 386 and can run angry birds. Winnah!

My first build was a PII 300 in some cheap case with a 40GB HDD, GeForce 2 something graphics, I think 128MB ram, some kind of CD-RW drive, running windows 98, I played a lot of Need For Speed 2 on that thing. :)

I grew up on a couple old mid 80's IBM clones (8086 i think) and a Tandy 1000SL (screamer!).

First build for me was probably a bunch of random P2 parts I picked off the side of the road and combined all the working parts from several. Much later a P4c build came along.

First build from scratch was the one in my signature.

I've done plenty of parts swapping and replacing before though.

My VERY first attempt to build was a 486dx2 with 32mb of memory (IIRC) that ran 98se. That was just my dad helping me learn to build. He handed me a box of parts, an AT PSU with a case and said "have fun". I think I was 12 or 13.

My first build where I actually got to buy parts was an ASUS CUSL2 (SKT 370) with a 533mhz Celly that was OC'd to 800mhz. Used an Alpha cooler with a 60mm delta screamer. Ran great for a while. Still have the board, cpu and case.

You never forget your first...

this is my 1st build in sig
im probly going to build again when DDR4 comes out

ASUS A8N-SLI
FX-55
6800 ultra SLI
2gb of ram
group effort between my brothers and I to play lots and lots of counterstrike.

My first build was in a custom case that I rigged up myself, with a little machine help from my dad at the time. (I would post pictures if I had them)
Sold the case after a year of building it, and swapped it for the case it's in now.

My first build hardware:

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8GHz
DFI Infinity RS482/G
2GB 333MHz DDR RAM
Visiontek x1300 (Eventually got swapped for an EVGA 8800 GTS 320, that I sold last year)
(Some un-labeled 500W psu I got off ebay)

that is what my computer at work is ;D cept an 8500gt still dropping hints for him to let me upgrad this thing lol

but anywho my first build was an
k8 3d cpu cant remember what one exactly
with 256mb's of ram D:
think 80gb hdd lol

it tore through 56k like a boss hahaha lots of diablo 3 and tibia

pentium 1 75 mhz
intel board
48mb ram
bought opti 931 audio card
graphics -cant remember
256mb ibm daqa ide drive--upgraded to ibm 2gb later
creative 4x cdrom drive
dlink nic

played doom95, hexen1--hexen II was all choppy graphics, dogz was good too, pitfall -the mayan adventure.;)

Back