• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator as Intake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

I have my build in a NZXT Source 210 case, and there's really not much space for a radiator. However, the front of the case has space for a 120.2 rad, assuming the HDD bays come out (by mod, presumably).

If I can find somewhere else to mount my HDD (5.25" adapter, probably), would it be possible to use a radiator as my intake on the front of the case? I currently have two fans blowing in on the front, and was wondering if it would negatively effect my temperatures to have a rad there instead of, say, on the top of my case.

I'm not planning on watercooling my current build, but if I upgrade, I will certainly look into it. I was wondering if I needed a new case or not.

Asrock 970 Extreme3 mobo.
Phenom II 955 BE.
Radeon HD 4890.
2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 RAM.

Cooling with a Hyper 212+, working fine for my current needs.

Ideally you would want rad exhaust leaving the case, but it might be alright. If you're only cooling the CPU with a 120.2 then I think it should be fine provided you have some other fans removing hot air.

What do you think you might upgrade to?

My next upgrade will probably be to an i5 2500k and some motherboard equivalent to my current one (probably an Asrock of some type, I quite like it). This is, of course, assuming I do upgrade. I don't really have the need for the upgrade yet, since I'll be moving to live with my grandmother while I go to college - her internet isn't fast enough for me to stream (which is why I'd need the extra processing power).

If you're not opposed to it, you can hang your radiator off the back of your case using a rad mount to mount it to the exhaust fan.

Although if it's in your budget, you may want to look into a case that's more watercooling friendly, especially if you're planning to cool your GPU(s) later.

Radiator as intake is awesome for the WC loop and not so good for everything else. My wifes fusion build has both radiators as intake and exhaust out the front and rear, while my rig one rad is intake and the other is exhaust :shrug:. Having a well balanced airflow pattern inside the case is really the most important part.

Radiator as intake is awesome for the WC loop and not so good for everything else. My wifes fusion build has both radiators as intake and exhaust out the front and rear, while my rig one rad is intake and the other is exhaust :shrug:. Having a well balanced airflow pattern inside the case is really the most important part.

I currently have 1 exhaust fan (back of the case) with my Hyper 212+ pulling air through the heatsink and pushing it into that exhaust fan. I then have two intake fans, on the front. Would something like a 120.2 radiator on the front with a fan on the side for intake work fine, do you think?

Skorpien - looks don't really matter to me. I'll think about that, too. Do you mean, like, have the radiator outside and have one fan mounted on the outside of the case, to hold the radiator there?

I wouldn't be adverse to upgrading my case, if I have the money for it, either. Depends on the money, though :p.

Looking at some photos of that case it looks like you have openings for 2x 120s in the front, 2x 120(140?) on top, 1 120 at the rear, and a 120 on the bottom. Should be no big deal to WC a GPU and probably even a GPU inside that rig. I would probably go with the dual 120 on the (top or front) as intake. If you go front make the bottom fan an intake, leave the rear as exhaust and put a 120mm over the cpu socket exhausting if not both. If you go top as intake flip the rear fan around and put the front and bottom fans as exhaust(I prefer this way).

I was actually thinking of using something like this to mount your radiator outside of your case. This will put a space betwee your case and your radiator so that you can access all of the various inputs and will allow your radiator to be able to use the cooler air from outside of your computer (as opposed to the exhaust).

Looking at some photos of that case it looks like you have openings for 2x 120s in the front, 2x 120(140?) on top, 1 120 at the rear, and a 120 on the bottom. Should be no big deal to WC a GPU and probably even a GPU inside that rig. I would probably go with the dual 120 on the (top or front) as intake. If you go front make the bottom fan an intake, leave the rear as exhaust and put a 120mm over the cpu socket exhausting if not both. If you go top as intake flip the rear fan around and put the front and bottom fans as exhaust(I prefer this way).

There's almost no room at all once the motherboard is in to put much in the top. I don't think a radiator would fit there - my current 120 fan will only barely fit above my 212. Though I realize a waterblock will also be much smaller than the 212, it will also have tubes coming off it. It'll probably have to be in the front, if I do.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Looks like that case is all set and you might even be able to fit it in top to exhaust air. My case is too small and I have my 120.3 on top of my case, really wish it would fit inside.

I have to hook my WC back up, but I had the radiator in the front of the case as an intake. My case temps went up, but not enough to affect my OC. (I have good airflow...no hotspots in the case.) I wanted the rad to be in my case to protect it from the cat and myself! The last thing I want it to bump it with the vacuum and put a hole in it.

Back