• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see... maybe a degraded motherboard filter section? Because silicon is 0 or 1, vs filter section capacitors can degrade over time or if pushed too hard (voltage), or beyond their working temperature..

It is not the transistors - your ones and zeros - but the conductive traces on the chip that get eroded away over time by the current flowing through them. This erosion is accelerated by higher voltages and temperatures. The process is called electormigration. This erosion, over time, results in connections with high resistance, broken connections or shorts. The first effects are usually loss of stability requiring higher volts or requiring you to lower the frequency. Increasing the voltage accelerates the process even further and eventually the processor will fail.

If you operate the processor within its design parameters, it should last at least its rated lifetime. Operating outside accelerates the degredation, but if you keep your processor cool and don't apply too high a voltage, it will still last long enough. Electromigration depends more strongly on temperature, than voltage,

The 105C is the temperature above which the processor can be permanently damaged, immediately.

Has anyone tried ripping off the pad and put it in oil? should be interesting to see if that were to hold up well for temps. *by oil, I mean full mobo submerge*

I don't know how effective oil is compared to air/water, I just know it is a viable alternative.

If they were to do that, the next step would be to compare a 2700k with it(or w/.e the equiv is) to see how the "pressureless" method works.

Circulation would be key...chilling would be a bonus.

I see... maybe a degraded motherboard filter section? Because silicon is 0 or 1, vs filter section capacitors can degrade over time or if pushed too hard (voltage), or beyond their working temperature..

At the lowest level silicon is actually analog. Threshold voltages are pre-defined which tells the circuit whether a particular voltage value will be a 1 or a 0. Above a certain threshold voltage the signal is considered a 1 and below a certain threshold voltage it is considered a 0. If it's in the middle then the output is undetermined and can go either way.

Has anyone tried ripping off the pad and put it in oil? should be interesting to see if that were to hold up well for temps. *by oil, I mean full mobo submerge*

I don't know how effective oil is compared to air/water, I just know it is a viable alternative.

If they were to do that, the next step would be to compare a 2700k with it(or w/.e the equiv is) to see how the "pressureless" method works.

Circulation would be key...chilling would be a bonus.

In oil cooled setups you still need a massive metal HS to spread the heat out from the chip effectively. Die to oil will still have the heat very concentrated at the die. Oil is far less effective than metal at wicking concentrated heat away from the die.

The only way I see too address this issue is to solder a HS or water block directly to the die.

Last edited:
It appears Impress PC Watch has proven this to be accurate. VR-Zone is where I saw it originally and here is the original source (you'll need a translating browser).

Their results (image courtesy Impress PC Watch):

ivb-tim-graph1.gif

VR-Zone can have the last word (though I think their last sentence is a stretch).

If anything, this is an issue that Intel shouldn't be having, as it's not as if we're talking about low-cost Celeron or Pentium models here, but rather premium models with overclocking enabled. We can only hope that Intel will consider changing its thermal grease for something a little bit more advanced on the K-series CPUs, as the company can't expect users to replace it by themselves and thus voiding their warranties. It's also quite embarrassing that such a small cost is what's holding these new CPUs back, but as has been suggested elsewhere, this might be part of Intel's plan so it can flog some more Sandy Bridge-E CPUs.

Interesting, looks like they tested by putting the heat spreader back on, but just putting different grease between the die and IHS.

Oil is a difficult matter. Some sort of oil can penetrate a gape which can not be penetrated by water by any means. So, the layer can be reduced by several times. It could be that thin that the connection between heatsink and die is the smallest distance possible. That means, the potency in theory is very good, however, its hard to have that oil at a stable condition. I know some sort of oil, it could penetrate my fingers, even when i use all the force possible in order to provide zero gape, its still not zero.

Last edited:
But the question is this: Is the CPU really hotter or is the measured temperature hotter because of internal factors such as density? When I get time I will test this unless someone has an SB and an IB they can check?

If someone can check this sooner than me (My IB is busy working on some reviews) please do.

What I want to do is find a ratio of internal measurement to MB temp on both. If the external temps are similar but the ratios are way off then it could be due to design and location.

But the question is this: Is the CPU really hotter or is the measured temperature hotter because of internal factors such as density? When I get time I will test this unless someone has an SB and an IB they can check?

If someone can check this sooner than me (My IB is busy working on some reviews) please do.

Mine'll be here Wednesday. First thing is stock:stock comparison with SB and my kill-a-watt.

Well SuperPi / mod 1.5 32m gives me 38º MB sensor and (44-46-47-46)º on the cores at stock with a 66w system draw with my 3570K.

@ IDLE I get (29-32-33-32)º CPU and 22º on the MB CPU sensor stock speeds with 45w draw.

Last edited:
Why call Intel? The chips run fine.

Just thinking that maybe, just maybe, they might want to know that there's a better TIM out there since they apparently want to use TIM to mate the CPU to the IHS. That would make it easier for the system builders to decide to use IB chips in their rigs; afterall, who wouldn't like to buy a cooler chip out of the box?

Just thinking that maybe, just maybe, they might want to know that there's a better TIM out there since they apparently want to use TIM to mate the CPU to the IHS. That would make it easier for the system builders to decide to use IB chips in their rigs; afterall, who wouldn't like to buy a cooler chip out of the box?

The issue is cost. Intel counts every penny and the fact is at stock the chips are fine. Now I will agree the K might need some special attention because they are supposed to be made to OC.

The issue is cost. Intel counts every penny and the fact is at stock the chips are fine. Now I will agree the K might need some special attention because they are supposed to be made to OC.

+1 to this.

Plus, they OC just fine. Intel doesn't care how far they OC, they just want the extra $XX for the ability to OC at all.

I think what everybody is forgetting is that Intel exists for the benefit of Intel. Not us. Not the end user. Intel will do what is best for Intel.
Given that AMD cannot compete, or even come close, to Intel in any way right now there is absolutely no reason for Intel to spend more money on soldering the chips or using a better TIM.
Leave aside the fact that you want them to, and ask yourself "why would they?".

I wonder if we could persuade Intel to put out an i7 3770X version, with a soldered IHS for people who want to go to the thermal edge. I say this because the Vcores involved seem rather low, so it's not Vcore that's limiting now, but temps, which can be controlled with better conductance.

They might cost more, but a soldered cpu would sell one or two chips, I think.

feel like this convo has gone round in a big circle. :p i said the exact same thing about 4 pages ago hehe, people are underestimating how much cutting a few $ off the production cost of each processor will earn them.

As bob have said intel exist for intel, they are a corporate company and they dont care about us. Simple fact. They only reason they have up until now is because they had competition ( kinda) so had to listen to the consumer. Now they are so far ahead they can cut corners like this and it wont make the slightest bit off difference. Either we are going to buy IB or SB for the price, no1 would seriously considering AMD at this point.

Its win win for them and they are counting the cash...... :p

xct64m.gif.jpg

Last edited:
Back