• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldnt recommend deliding even if could get 10C better temps, odds arent it isnt going to help overclock much if at all, and mine for sure not at all. I wont go over 4.7 ghz for 24/7 because of voltage concerns, and my temps are ok with 4.7 1.31v, so I have nothing to gain. 4.8 takes 1.37+ vcore, not doing that 24/7.

But I will delid mine when haswell comes out, because I want to see for myself the temp difference on mine, no other reason.

I dont know that many are recommending deliding, just some curious few experimenting.

+1. Delid if you want to for experimentation. Don't delid expecting it to help temps or your overclock. :)

My bet is most of the people recommending a delid don't own an IB or at least did not pay for it.

>implying anyone is recommending anyone else to delid their CPU.

What people are trying to say is that at least a significant portion of the temperature difference between ivybridge and sandy bridge is a result of the TIM. If anything, what people may be recommending is to wait for a fluxless solder variant from intel.

What people are trying to say is that at least a significant portion of the temperature difference between ivybridge and sandy bridge is a result of the TIM. If anything, what people may be recommending is to wait for a fluxless solder variant from intel.

Gonna be a long wait I believe...

Did you read IMOGs post in the its getting hot in here thread?

Honestly this thing is clobbering my SB in 24/7 clocks and performance and staying under the 105º (usually 90s) in IBT. At times it will drop to 4.4 under load but it is usually 4.6-4.7 under load.

SB vs IB 2-8% is not clobbering, more like a nudge with high temps.

Have you run yours @ 4.6 with 2400 ram and done encodes with the new IGP @ 1500 MHZ?

http://hwbot.org/submission/2285066_

Look at the scores just above and just below mine and realize I do not evar post my best scores on HWBot.

http://3dmark.com/pcm7/349857

I am telling you a build around an IB will stomp a build based around a SB. I have both. I run my IB faster and it is faster per clock with faster ram. So yeah it is a stomping.

Last edited:

Honestly this thing is clobbering my SB in 24/7 clocks and performance and staying under the 105º (usually 90s) in IBT. At times it will drop to 4.4 under load but it is usually 4.6-4.7 under load.

With those temps though, you're trading some minor performance gains for durability. Fine for benching of course, but not really desirable for most.

epenis scores. :p i think its pretty established now that if you want to pay the little bit extra and get good benches. By all means go with an ivy bridge. For normal gaming and everyday use its little or no upgrade from SB. You keep claiming that its amazing IGP and cpu improvements.

Firstly IGP is near pointless for most people. As if you are forking out that much for a computer 90% of the time people wont be using the IGP. So who really gives a rats *** about IGP improvements? Not meeeeee. Not until its actually rivalling mid end GPU's, which i doubt it ever will.

And you keep banging on about great CPU improvements, but we all know that on average that equates to about a 5% increase across the board for real world performance. A 5% that can easily be nulled with a higher clock on the SB and with lower temps. Im not saying that IB wont be worth it when they sort out their TIM issue. But until then it seem illogical to invest in an IB. Intel are keeping the prices of the SB roughly equal to IB because they know that they will not sell half as many IB CPU's if they lower SB prices. Hell that's what ebay is for XD. Pick up a 2500k or 2700k for £50 cheaper and your laughing.

Ivy bridge is just an interim Chip until haswell, its as simple as that. Id prefer to save the £30-50 and fork out extra when haswell is released. The only major advantage at the moment for me is the higher clocked RAM. Then again if i slacken the timings on my corsair ram i can hit 2200-300mhz with a minor V bump. going to 2800 is somewhat pointless when you have to slacken the timings so much to do so. Yes higher freq Vs ram timings is a debated subject but its the general consensus that high freq do = slightly better performance over tightened up timings. But then again you are paying on average twice as much for 2400 ram than for 2000-2133 ram so could get 16 Gb of 2133mhz ram for the price of 8gb of 2400 ram.

Last edited:
Durability is not sacrificed...first of all.

Next, that igor can be used WITH your gpu so ut could help those with not as good gpus

Durability is not sacrificed...first of all.

Next, that igor can be used WITH your gpu so ut could help those with not as good gpus

sorry point taken, it will help fps for people with mid to low end dedicated graphics cards. When you get into the mid end+ graphics card there are literally no gains to ingame FPS. If you are running a card with gtx 460 speeds or above it kind of becomes redundant

Which post of mine is being used as a testament for delidding? My last post in this thread I mentioned testing a delidded sample that didn't work... The sample was sent to me, free, and I just tested it. It wasn't something we are actually trying to do... Even for benchmarkig.

@XandeR: you don't have to buy high rated ram for ivy. A lot of stuff rated 2000 and lower is clocking to 2500 or better on ivy.

With those temps though, you're trading some minor performance gains for durability. Fine for benching of course, but not really desirable for most.

If you have an IB try running IBT. I have heard of some people hitting 105º at stock clocks. IBT heats them up to levels that I have never seen from any other stressing program. So I am not pushing it if I stay under 105º in IBT.

Many overclockers fear IBT. I must have 100% stable for what I do. Others can set the records I will set the sustainability bar. For a product review everyone needs to be able to take a CPU close to the levels you test at. That is why I never publish my MAX OC or benchmark scores.

Which post of mine is being used as a testament for delidding? My last post in this thread I mentioned testing a delidded sample that didn't work... The sample was sent to me, free, and I just tested it. It wasn't something we are actually trying to do... Even for benchmarkig.

I mentioned it but it was the opposite. I was disagreeing with the deliding and I used you post as reason not to delid.

Here it is and you can see what it is a reply to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Pawn

I was implying that you did not seem to think it was worth the trouble.

Thank you for clarifying, and for taking my post in the proper light. :salute:

NP. Honestly I am getting good results and temps in everything and I have pushed it intentionally to 105º and gotten no errors in IBT. Since I started playing with settings I get good temps, 90s in IBT and a 4.4 base OC with a turbo of 47.

The issue I see is people turning off power management, setting the voltage at 1.2 or 1.3 instead of using the dynamic offset. This is not a SB and should not be treated as such. The days of just upping the volts and multi to get a great OC are going away for this CPU.

Back