• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+ 1 Archer...

...this is the first platform where offset is more useful (for me personally it served to confuse more so than anything). For overclocking, I would still disable power features until you are stable, THEN re-enable them.

+ 1 Archer...

...this is the first platform where offset is more useful (for me personally it served to confuse more so than anything). For overclocking, I would still disable power features until you are stable, THEN re-enable them.

Man when I had voltage set to 1.25 trying to get to 4.5 I could not do it. Now I usually crunch for a few days for heat and error testing but because of the issues everyone was complaining about I had to use IBT. Well 4.4 could not hold the heat.

What I did do was increase the Turbo Core TDP, lowered the A just a hair and set everything to dynamic with all power saving features on to see what happened.

Now I have a higher dynamic vCore, higher bench scores and less heat. I also hate sharing at times because it means I can't say nanny nanny boo boo.

Moar testing!
amlett said:
Hi guys.

I've done a little review about the 3770K TIM replacement. The original is in spanish, but here are the results:

7 3770K L152B693
Asus Maximus V GENE Z77
2x4GB Samsung 30nm green 1600 @ 2133 C10 1.5v
Samsung 830 1280GB
Corsair H100 + 2x Nidec Gentle Thypoon 1450rpm 51cmf (solo Push)

Artic Silver 5
Artic MX4
Prolimatech pk-1
Coolaboratory Liquid Pro
índigo Xtreme

Ambient temp 23-24ºC

20120522144259.jpg

tempsw.png

Here the full review at Noticias3D:

http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=391334

bye!
Originally saw this @ XS.

The issue I see is people turning off power management, setting the voltage at 1.2 or 1.3 instead of using the dynamic offset. This is not a SB and should not be treated as such. The days of just upping the volts and multi to get a great OC are going away for this CPU.

I would disagree with the upping volts and multi going away, our mobos must have very different implementations.

I am prime 12+ hrs, linx (newest) max mem stable at 4.7 with 1.31vcore, and max temps 85C linx. And zero idle bsods or whea errors. According to fluke reading vcore, I need 1.305 vcore but I run 1 notch above stable testing, ie 1.311v. I can use LLC on turbo or high and adjust vcore accordingly but as long as vcore remains 1.305 or above, Im stable. That overclock was easy and straightforward and temps are fine. And power savings would save me $2 per year with my use (for that 20W several hrs per day), and I dont use them. Sleep mode on other hand saves me over 300W, that I use.

Now look at dynamic vcore (first without power savings). If I set vcore to normal 1.16 on mine and add .140 vcore dynamic, and boot at 35 multi I get 1.16 vcore. At 40 multi gives me 1.26 vcore, and at 47 multi gives me 1.39 vcore. Basically it overvolts, like auto overclocking with higher multi. Now I add power savings, and it overvolts at load, and I get idle bsods because it undervolts at idle/low load. I have played around and got it semistable, but at cost of still higher vcore than necessary at full load, or idle bsods when lowering vcore so load appropriate. There are multiple posts with idle bsod issues from people using power saving and dynamic vid, where mhz scales up faster than vcore.

I could probably get it stable manipulating LLC, some of power features turned off, etc but would take weeks to test for idle bsods, and what a colossal waste of time, especially when it is easy, straightforward, and better temps on mine, to up multi and vcore.

As an aside, I can run prime/linx all day with dynamic vcore + power savings, since load is always high enough (even linx) to maintain high enough vcore....but idle bsods then have to be tested and adjustments made.

Some people prefer dynamic, Im not a fan yet.

I would disagree with the upping volts and multi going away, our mobos must have very different implementations.

I am prime 12+ hrs, linx (newest) max mem stable at 4.7 with 1.31vcore, and max temps 85C linx. And zero idle bsods or whea errors. According to fluke reading vcore, I need 1.305 vcore but I run 1 notch above stable testing, ie 1.311v. I can use LLC on turbo or high and adjust vcore accordingly but as long as vcore remains 1.305 or above, Im stable. That overclock was easy and straightforward and temps are fine. And power savings would save me $2 per year with my use (for that 20W several hrs per day), and I dont use them. Sleep mode on other hand saves me over 300W, that I use.

Now look at dynamic vcore (first without power savings). If I set vcore to normal 1.16 on mine and add .140 vcore dynamic, and boot at 35 multi I get 1.16 vcore. At 40 multi gives me 1.26 vcore, and at 47 multi gives me 1.39 vcore. Basically it overvolts, like auto overclocking with higher multi. Now I add power savings, and it overvolts at load, and I get idle bsods because it undervolts at idle/low load. I have played around and got it semistable, but at cost of still higher vcore than necessary at full load, or idle bsods when lowering vcore so load appropriate. There are multiple posts with idle bsod issues from people using power saving and dynamic vid, where mhz scales up faster than vcore.

I could probably get it stable manipulating LLC, some of power features turned off, etc but would take weeks to test for idle bsods, and what a colossal waste of time, especially when it is easy, straightforward, and better temps on mine, to up multi and vcore.

As an aside, I can run prime/linx all day with dynamic vcore + power savings, since load is always high enough (even linx) to maintain high enough vcore....but idle bsods then have to be tested and adjustments made.

You are cooling with water. I am cooling with air. Yeah I should have specified that though. My Bad.

On air I could not run IBT extreme without hitting 105º strait up clocking like the SB. Moving to an offset dynamic voltage (same as the set voltage) I could keep the temps a little lower. I added the turbo back and started getting warm again so I turned on power management adjusted the TDP to 82 (I have no idea if it really did anything) and lowered the A by two.

Now my temps dropped quite a bit due to the dynamic voltage and then even more when the CPU idles down to 1600. The turbo allows me to gain when I can without really affecting heat as well.

When I had it locked at 4.4 it sucked.

to stop getting WHEA errors during video encodes etc - my 3770k needs 1.285V in bios with Extreme LLC - so under load thats 1.319V

this is for 4.5 gig - pretty rubbish

and even though I have a decent case (Corsair 550D) and a decent Noctua cooler - I get temps up to 92-93C during handbrake encodes (which use AVX)

pretty unacceptable for a touted "overclocking" CPU I'd say - unacceptable from a temps point of view

ALSO for note - when I was trying to get 4.6 stable and WHEA error free - I had to keep upping the voltage, and my temps went up, I got to ap oint where I was almost WHEA free .. went one notch higher, temps during encodes got to 96-97C and suddenly windows logs were full of WHEA CRC errors .. every 30 seconds ... so thats a worry - seems the CPU doesn't like temps above 95C - even though it doesn't throttle till 105

Pretty much +1 to rge. Also on water. :thup:

Well if you and RGE were not on water how would you get those temps down? Come on guys it is what was a hobby in the beginning. Enthusiasts and poor boys. When you start adding extravagant cooling into the mix it moves away from the poor boys and into the exclusive club only. I do not run water because I choose not to. I did play with some expensive cooling way back but it involved a modified 8000-BTU window unit. I have made water blocks for fun and then never used them (testing only) because where is the challenge?

A very small percentage of people use water for one reason or another and the rest of us do not for various reasons. When you discount things that could help the majority (I know you were speaking to me here and that is fine but we have a big audience you know) you may unintentionally cause someone not to even try other ways. Hey Hokie and RGE said...

Well I know that is not the case but it can be interpreted that way. Now do not make me build a cooler and take you boys to school for 24/7 clocks. I have a buddy with a machine shop itching to play.

Very good points Archer. I just haven't had time to try your way (or with an air cooler really). Not saying it's bad by any stretch, it's just not my preference. :salute:

My LLC setting for my Asrock Z77 Extreme4 has 5 levels. Level 1 being no vdroop, level 5 being max vdroop. Right now, I keep it at level 3 so I get some droop but nothing extreme.

What are the thoughts here on whether it makes more sense to run a higher offset with more vdroop versus getting rid of vdroop altogether and running a lower offset? Are there advantages/disadvantages for either method?

My LLC setting for my Asrock Z77 Extreme4 has 5 levels. Level 1 being no vdroop, level 5 being max vdroop. Right now, I keep it at level 3 so I get some droop but nothing extreme.

What are the thoughts here on whether it makes more sense to run a higher offset with more vdroop versus getting rid of vdroop altogether and running a lower offset? Are there advantages/disadvantages for either method?

With these chips? Who knows and there are two (or more) schools of thought there as well.

Locked voltage with droop or dynamic with no droop are two.

With these chips? Who knows and there are two (or more) schools of thought there as well.

Locked voltage with droop or dynamic with no droop are two.

After I posted that I did some googling around, and discovered that apparently vdroop is an intentional feature of Intel processors to keep stability when clock speeds change dynamically. It seems to be a fairly general consensus that vdroop should not be altered except in cases where extreme cooling/voltage is being used.

I guess I'll leave it at level 3 and ride the fence :)

Very good points Archer. I just haven't had time to try your way (or with an air cooler really). Not saying it's bad by any stretch, it's just not my preference. :salute:

Well I still get my 4.4 and then some.

Current settings:

Evidently I am @ 1.35 not 1.3:)

Slightly more off topic...but related, news to me, but may be old news to others..

I was playing more with LLC off and dynamic vcore to get 4.7 with semi-reasonable load and idle vcore for heck of it....but then read on another forum about power savings affecting SSD performance, Toms article is here from 2009, so I tested mine.

With power savings, ie C states enabled with dynamic vcore, I get consistent 40% decrease in random 4K writes, and 10-25% decrease in 4k random read performance on my SSD versus DISABLED C states with AS SSD and crystaldiskmark. But the effect and what it affects seems to be mobo/bios dependent. I tried timing an app installation multiple times, and it took consistently longer with power savings enabled.

Toms conclusion from 2009 was:
However, our findings are significant, as they can affect users who may not even know they are running an SSD with the brakes on. In short: really fast SSDs that can deliver 200 MB/s or even more of throughput become limited by CPU performance due to power saving mechanisms—or more precisely, they are bottlenecked by a limited availability of CPU time. This became obvious by switching the various power saving options on and off. We found that the sophisticated power saving mechanisms—such as the Active State Power Management for PCI Express, or the deeper C states that switch off entire functional units within the CPU at a transistor level—have a noticeable impact on the performance of our X25-E flash SSD. Obviously, the latency added by utilizing the more complex power saving features is significant enough to have to wait for the system to pick up data.

Wonder what happens when windows is set to maximum performance with no power savings? I have no power savings enabled in windows at the moment.

Probably nothing. On most desktops, the power is configured the same for the CPU in savings and maximum performance I think. On a laptop, it may be more common to configure the CPU to use something less than its max power.

On a desktop, I would expect the only difference between the default profile and max performance to be in peripherals... Disk, monitor, and sleep/hibernation settings.

is intel going to stop being tight a$$es next revision?

Hey all just wondering what peoples thoughts were about if intel were going to stop using TIM and change back to solder (at least for the k-series) or not on the next revision? :shrug:

Everyone's vote and input welcome :D

Also does anyone know how long it is generally before a 2nd revision gets released? I really want a 3570K but much rather get a soldered 3570k... :-/

Probably nothing. On most desktops, the power is configured the same for the CPU in savings and maximum performance I think. On a laptop, it may be more common to configure the CPU to use something less than its max power.

On a desktop, I would expect the only difference between the default profile and max performance to be in peripherals... Disk, monitor, and sleep/hibernation settings.

+1.

I do not believe the windows power saving features reach to the CPU and its 'c states'. so adjusting that shouldnt have an effect.

S4MBO, I've merged your thread into the main discussion about the TIM used on Ivy Bridge processors.

Windows is involved with cpu c-states and performance. Fairly deeply really, it's the only one that knows what the upcoming CPU load is.

Back