• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But when changing the windows power options, as is the context here, does it touch those states when you go from energy savings to power user (or w/e its called)?

Last edited:
I know for an absolute personally tested fact that it did on 775. Newer stuff I'm assuming it does.
I don't think it ever totally disables them (Power User used to, now I don't think it does), but it definitely changes where it bottoms out and/or where it prefers to sit.

Just built my 3570 machine... checked out temps yesterday at stock settings during battlefield 3, core usage was about 70% (GTX680 pushing framerates).. well my hottest core reached 55C on a 30C ambient. That's not bad considering my room temps, but still expected a bit lower than that at room temps. I'll do a stress test tonight and see what happens.

I know for an absolute personally tested fact that it did on 775. Newer stuff I'm assuming it does.
I don't think it ever totally disables them (Power User used to, now I don't think it does), but it definitely changes where it bottoms out and/or where it prefers to sit.
Just gave the google machine a bit of a workout and came up with this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/153968-sleep-states-see-available-sleep-states.html

Is it possible that the power options in windows controls the S states but not C states which apparently effect SSD performance? :shrug:

Certainly possible.
Might even be "S"oftware Based CPU Power States and "C"PU Based CPU Power States.
Who knows?

So it seems that we have come to a place where it is as it was. EZ overclocking is almost non existent.

Interesting question Archer....likely to be mobo/bios/cpu dependent, but on my IVY + GB ud5h mobo.....but on playing with settings on mine

If I disable C1e and C3/C6 and EIST in bios, SSD has full performance. When I go to power options, under CPU power management, I only have the option for cooling, ie presumably fan control. I do not have min/max processor state options, since my hardware setting of disabling c1e and c3/c6 and EIST makes them nonavailable, since hardware setting overrides any software control. Note, this causes an extra 20W usage while my computer is on vs turning on eist/c1e/c3/c6. I think once hardware disables eist/c1e/c3/c6, the only power savings are peripherals like IMOG suggested.

If I enable c1e, c3/c6 and EIST and overclock using dynamic, I then lose 40% of SSD 4k write and ~20% SSD 4k read performance. But, I then have access to min/max processor power states via software by going to power options, so I could "tune" min max processor states further.

This doesnt affect my ability to use sleep mode either way, as I overclock the easy way of turning off c1e, c3/c6, eist and just raise vcore/multi. My computer at idle uses 210W idling (280W including monitor). And sleep mode just 20W for everything, which goes into after 30 mins of not using computer. And of course 185-190W idle if I run same settings, but dynamic OC with C states enabled.

Last edited:
Interesting question Archer....likely to be mobo/bios/cpu dependent, but on my IVY + GB ud5h mobo.....but on playing with settings on mine

If I disable C1e and C3/C6 and EIST in bios, SSD has full performance. When I go to power options, under CPU power management, I only have the option for cooling, ie presumably fan control. I do not have min/max processor state options, since my hardware setting of disabling c1e and c3/c6 and EIST makes them nonavailable, since hardware setting overrides any software control. Note, this causes an extra 20W usage while my computer is on vs turning on eist/c1e/c3/c6. I think once hardware disables eist/c1e/c3/c6, the only power savings are peripherals like IMOG suggested.

If I enable c1e, c3/c6 and EIST and overclock using dynamic, I then lose 40% of SSD 4k write and ~20% SSD 4k read performance. But, I then have access to min/max processor power states via software by going to power options, so I could "tune" min max processor states further.

This doesnt affect my ability to use sleep mode either way, as I overclock the easy way of turning off c1e, c3/c6, eist and just raise vcore/multi. My computer at idle uses 210W idling (280W including monitor). And sleep mode just 20W for everything, which goes into after 30 mins of not using computer. And of course 185-190W idle if I run same settings, but dynamic OC with C states enabled.

Very interesting and thanks for the info. It may come to a choice for air cooling of what is most important to you Higher OC or maximum SSD performance. I am using a UD3 but I am on a titening schedule and I don't have time to screw with things. to look for a work around.

Maximum o/c has little or nothing to do with sleep states... does it? I mean there is trouble coming OUT of them or hibernation or something, but never knew it limited max overclocks. Not to mention, sleep states are for IDLE PC's so not sure how that would effect temperatures for a maximum overclock as idle temps are always in line.

What did I miss here?

Thanks!

I just added the side note about sleep mode, to say I get 180W power savings via sleep mode which my computer probably is in 18+hrs per day, so I dont worry about 20W power savings of C1E/C3/C6/EIST while I am using it. And yep, sleep mode obviously has nothing to do with OC/temps and obviously does not interfere with SSD performance etc.

The trade off being discussed with air cooling where heat more an issue:
option 1) use dynamic vcore + c1e/c3/c6 enabled and plus is 20W power savings most of time, better temps when cpu is not max stressed, but downside is loss in SSD performance.
option 2) disable c1e/c3/c6, use 20W more power while computer in use, have higher general temps since vcore is maxed all time, but plus side is max SSD performance.

Sleep mode not relevant for above 2 options, I just threw it in there to say I get my power savings via sleep mode 180w x 18hrs, not going to worry about 20W during use for 6hrs. And since I am on water, I dont care about hotter general temps since my vcore maxed all time, though as Archer pointed out if on air, and temps are a concern, then may be something to consider.

Nope. I certainly wouldn't bet they will use solder either. There isn't a reason to for 99% of people.

^Yep, I'd be surprised as well.

Sticking with SB untill second half 2013 (if God gives me life till then...).

Ok, so after using prime95 for 20 minutes, I got 58C on my hottest core, with H80 on "low". Stock everything, voltage was showing 1.120 on CPUz. Ambient was about 26C.

I think i'll check out the bios and start tweaking to see what I can get.

So it seems that we have come to a place where it is as it was. EZ overclocking is almost non existent.

I can't recall a time previous to SB where 4.5GHz was a gimmie.
Both my IB chips do it (or more) easily with quiet cooling and acceptable temps.

Ok, so after using prime95 for 20 minutes, I got 58C on my hottest core, with H80 on "low". Stock everything, voltage was showing 1.120 on CPUz. Ambient was about 26C.

I think i'll check out the bios and start tweaking to see what I can get.

What Ghz were you running your 3570k to get that on your H80?

I have a coolmaster V8 and was thinking of getting a H80 or H100 but not sure if it's worth the upgrade or not.

Both my IB chips do it (or more) easily with quiet cooling and acceptable temps.

with sb dont you just need multi and a dab of vcore for 4.5? some lucky buggers didnt even need v core. oh yea and pll overide, mine wont even go past 4.4 without pll OR

AMD and Intel have been pretty easy of late and it seems the end of the simple one or two part OC (multi and voltage) is here for IB. Honestly with the limits put in place by Intel that effectively locked up the Bclock (1155) it is back to multi changes or very limited FSB (bclock changes). It was not long ago that a mid grade CPU cost 500-1000 dollars and people bought them. Because there was a jumper on some of their MBs they could OC. 12 or 16 Mhz (some less) then 16, 20, 25, 33 Mhz. Then they added a bit and 40 came into play. Anyway that was easy then things got a little more complicated because everything moved to BIOS. ... So today the choices are BE or K processors to get up in speed because intel has effectively taken away the FSB/Ref/BClock and add to that the core temps of the IB and this CPU becomes a tweakers toy and a novice nightmare.

And as far as 4.5? I was not speaking about any given number I was thinking about using you head to OC and not a guide.

What Ghz were you running your 3570k to get that on your H80?

I have a coolmaster V8 and was thinking of getting a H80 or H100 but not sure if it's worth the upgrade or not.

Bone stock. 3.4Ghz, but CPUz was showing 3.8Ghz, so apparently it was in turbo mode for the prime95.

with sb dont you just need multi and a dab of vcore for 4.5? some lucky buggers didnt even need v core. oh yea and pll overide, mine wont even go past 4.4 without pll OR

Yeah, that's all I needed for IB too though.

Back