• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Ivy Bridge Temperatures - It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, that's all I needed for IB too though.

What are you cooling with Bob? I think that is what is very relevant to this topic. We are effectively mixing nomenclatures here. There is the Air and the more than air.

TRUE and Frio Extreme, both with low fan noise.

Just curious what your temps are like. Mine stay in the 80s at 4.5 in everything except some of the more intense burner programs that are meant to heat things up.

What do they look like in IBT? Also are you using dynamic or locked voltage?

Just curious what your temps are like. Mine stay in the 80s at 4.5 in everything except some of the more intense burner programs that are meant to heat things up.

What do they look like in IBT? Also are you using dynamic or locked voltage?

Running FAH on a continual basis I had cores temps in the high 60s to high 70s depending on the ambient. I haven't tried IBT.

EDIT:
Dynamic/offset on one board, fixed on the other.

Dynamic/offset on one board, fixed on the other.
Have you noticed a temp difference? Also I am thinking of stripping the MX4 and going back to Diamond 24. I have noticed about a 3-4º temp drop in the past few days and I can only assume it is because of the TIM is set. Well better tim will mean a few less degrees so I figure why not give the diamond a chance.

I don’t play any games if I find something good I stick to it. I have no attention insulting anyone I was shocked by the main article seriously what I believe?

The new gigabyte motherboards have double copper this heat can’t make it to the cooler effectively like it happens in a sandy bridge I believe it will spread out thought the pins to the back of the motherboard through the double copper all over the motherboard like an umbrella!! In the end you will get high temperature readings all over the motherboard.

I still can’t believe why Intel made such a strange move. Most people will not risk to open the processor apply indigo extreme or a better thermal paste that the author of the topic make it clear will fail to remove the heat effectively as the soldier did. I will not invest any more serious thoughts to this, I guess the most people will end up down clocking it I really hope the best for them, seriously.

I can understand the logic of using it in the non-K version but using TIM instead of solder in the K version is just very silly and penny-pinching when the consumer is already hit with a premium price but nobbled by temp restrictions. Wake up Intel!

Why though, really?
What are consumers going to buy as an alternative?

It's not polite to consumers, but it's a perfectly reasonable decision on their part.
They won't lose any customers over it and they'll make more money.

Not good at all! I'm highly annoyed with them.
My point is, it's not a mistake on their part. From their point of view it is the correct decision. They lose nothing and make more money.

They aren't in the business of making people like them, nor in the business of being warm and fuzzy, they're in the business of making as much money as possible for as long as possible.

So, greed is good?

Remind me of the 80's.

That part of it is called manufacturing! Things have changed over the years and no instead of engineers running things we have MBAs and CPAs that are clueless about much of the product and design making decisions.

It (IMHO) is less about greed and more about ignorance in the beginning. The greed kicks in when the engineers get fired for protesting.

Not good at all! I'm highly annoyed with them.
My point is, it's not a mistake on their part. From their point of view it is the correct decision. They lose nothing and make more money.

They aren't in the business of making people like them, nor in the business of being warm and fuzzy, they're in the business of making as much money as possible for as long as possible.

100% correct, people seem to have this illusion that companies like intel give a **** about any of their customers. They dont, period, all they see us as is money into their accounts. :thup:

Hey thats corporate companies for you! This is why we need AMD to bring out a kick *** chip that will really push intel into having to get their act together. I would happily defect to amd if the performance was good enough. I think many people would share that sentiment, screw brand loyalty if they cant be assed to keep their customers happy. Provided AMD thrive one day intel will rue the day they used tim on their chips! or at least i hope so :chair:

Last edited:
100% correct people seem to have the illusion that companies like intel give a **** about any of their customers. They dont, period, all they see us as is money into their accounts. :thup:

Hey thats corporate companies for you! This is why we need AMD to bring out a kick *** chip that will really push intel into having to get their act together. I would happily defect to amd if the performance was good enough. I think many people would share that sentiment, screw brand loyalty if they cant be assed to keep their customer happy. Provided AMD thrive one day intel will rue the day they used tim on their chips! or at least i hope so :chair:

Hey I have been a CPU **** for years! Always had some of each but like a true **** I love the bigger stuff! Bigger numbers that is.

100% correct people seem to have the illusion that companies like intel give a **** about any of their customers. They dont, period, all they see us as is money into their accounts. :thup

... Provided AMD thrive one day intel will rue the day they used tim on their chips! or at least i hope so :chair:

I agree. St*ff brand loyalty. Come on AMD, bring on competition and consumer choice.

I don't know I have a new ivy bridge i5 the 3470, And I am using the stock cooler since I had no thermal paste for my silentX. And I notice a major improvement in temps over lynnfield. it idles in the 30's and never gets to 60 under cinibench load. It gets to 58c highest. The i5 750 would get past 80c sometimes.

Back