• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive Image Software??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Davidleebjr

Would anyone have a recommendation for Drive Image Software?

Just clean installed Windows 7 64bit in process of loading up all my softs..

Liked Acronis True Image Home--- (don't need the stuff it loads extra) not to mention it throws off my PerfectDisk boot defragger for some reason.

Gave DriveImage Xml a whirl... seems okay... wondering favorites of others here? :screwy:

Thanks,

david

are you asking for Cd copying or HDD backup?
if so i use Ghost for HDD backup

D I Hdd...

are you asking for Cd copying or HDD backup?
if so i use Ghost for HDD backup

Full HDD backup trekky...

lol I can't remember the last time i pulled out a cd other than to burn one for the stereo in my minivan... lol

Norton products definitely leave a bad taste with me after having to fix friends pc's over the years. Not saying ghost is at all like Norton anti-virus but just haven't had anyone tell me ghost is an awesome application. I definitely appreciate the recommendation though to look into.

me and my dad has been using ghost for 8+ years
its a great program, i still use it today (of course with newer version)

Ghost is oldschool. ;) Acronis, Paragon and the opensource/free alternative CloneZilla are what you need to know.

Ghost gets the job done, it's simple, what more do you need. I agree with not liking symantec, but ghost works.

Another Acronis fan (I use their latest Home version to perform weekly backups to an external eSata drive). I've also used Paragon professionally, good stuff. Paragon is expensive though.

Ghost is, as they said, old school but portable and included on many legit and illegit winPE based tech repair CDs floating around (Hiren's, etc). The benefit to ghost is that their versions all look and feel the same, so the learning curve is small.

If you have a bootable Acronis version I would say just use that to image with.

Win7 backup works great.

XMLbackup is also great and free.

The only think I hate about all these backup options, is you can't restore to a smaller drive than the original.

Clueless. The backup softwares copy the data only so the size of the hd does not matter, as long as it fits. I don't use the built-in stuff and never will with windows.

The only problem with Windows 7 Backup is that it could take hours (10 - 20 hours actually) to reimage your drive. Don't know why. Coughed up for Acronis TIH and have never looked back.

I've heard good things about Acronis...
One question using Acronis can you go from say a 500GB HD to a 120GB SSD?
[EDIT] as long as less than 120GB is used on the 500GB drive

I use Acronis mostly. On macs, I use a combination of Carbon Copy Cloner and Winclone.

Yes, you can drop the image onto a smaller disk as long as the data will fit.

another +1 for Acronis, use it at home and work all the time and it always does a great job.

And truth be told theres no point to any fancy defragging programs... use the built in win 7 one for your mechanical hdds n call it a day.

Back