• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed: Super Loud Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyChotik

Alright, so a while back I decided to get a modular PSU, for pure convenience. So I went with the OCZ ZT-750W.
When I push my PC over 400W of used power, the fan kicks into high RPM's and gets VERY obnoxious.

What should I do?

Get another PSU that doesnt do that... or void the warranty and place a quieter fan inside it?

get a loud headset :D lol them are about your only options

Get another PSU that doesnt do that... or void the warranty and place a quieter fan inside it?

Well, I could always TRY to RMA it, but then idk what I would do for a computer, because my spare PSU is only 500w, and the fan hardly works on it.

get a loud headset :D lol them are about your only options

7.2 Surround, c'mon, get with it. :p

I would read some reviews of that PSU and try to figure out if that is the norm. Too bad you don't have a spare :( You could also try to get some better airflow or cooler air to the the PSU.

A lot of new cases have the PSU fan mounted so they are sucking in outside air for example I have a 912HAF and the fan is mounted facing down and is on the bottom of my case so it sucks air from underneath the case and will stay cooler than if I had it the other way and sucked air from inside my case.

That being said. If you do have a case that works like this make sure it is NOT sitting on carpet. The carpet will significantly reduce the airflow into the PSU. If it must sit on the ground put it on a piece of plywood, a shelf, hell at least carboard or maybe even put the feet on top of books so there is more clearance.

If you are sick of your case you can get a 912HAF for ~50 without the fans.

*edit

Also you said once you go over 400watts. I could be mistaken but I doubt it is 400watts itself that is making it happen. Almost all of these new PSUs run the fan off of the temperature not load. I'm sure you probably did already know that but just in case you thought it was the watts.

Back