• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue after virus removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

Looking for an answer other than "reformat/reinstall" on this.

Especially since its my work pc (and I DONT want my I.S. ppl to touch it.. they suck :p)

I had a virus, I dont know what since the genius' in IS decided to boot me out of my pc, run malwarebytes/mcafee (our enterprise solution) and removed it without me seeing what it was. I can't see the log files so im screwed on that too. But my issue is, now that its gone part of my desktop is screwed up. (i do know the virus was a IE one cause it fubar'd my IE)

I have a 23" widescreen and about 3" of the right side of my main screen (dual monitors) now has a "ghosting" or something issue.. like when an app is hanging and if you drag a window across it and it captures the windows image etc.. hard to explain, but I cant figure out what to do.

Refreshing the screen does nothing, but it does refresh that I can tell, just not the 3" area. I'm kind of lost on where to go. I've tried changing backgrounds and it still always stops at that area (stretched/tiled/whatever)

Any ideas?

Try changing monitors or reinstalling the drivers. If that doesn't work you might be sol with embedded gpu.

when he says they booted him out, I think he's saying that they removed his admin privileges.

No. What he said is he complained of a virus and the IT dept took control long enough to remove it (but apparently not long enough to make sure it worked correctly afterwards). Employers do not give employees admin rights to begin with. His problem is not if he has admin rights, it's a display issue.

I would uninstall the video drivers and then try resetting your screen resolution by going down one size and then back up again. It doesn't matter which order you do this in but give it a shot.

Sorry, been away a lil.. yeah I dont have admin rights to the machine to see logs etc and they don't give up info on a whim.. I'll try the drivers i suppose and see how it goes, course the IS will do it.. gag me.. i really dont want to have them reimage my machine, they lose more info than they save :p

you could make a backup of your profile, let them image it and then restore items from your profile folder.

Do you have photos, screenshots?

Do you have access to nvidia's control panel?

See if you can swap cards w/ someone around you for like 20 minutes maybe?

Also, IT people suck at like every company lol.

Back