• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro stutter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scrub206

So i couldn't find a thread that could really help with this issue. I heard that theres not a whole lot you can do to prevent this:

So ever since i got my second 6970 ive noticed lots of micro stuttering in games like League of legends and Tera online. when i played with 1 video card i never ran into this issue at all. Would re-seating the video cards potentially help with this issue? swapping them so the second card be the primary card? could it be the Crossfire Ribbon? or is there something in the CCC that i can play around with to help this?

its not THAT big of an issue. i would just like a smoother experience. also been debating on whether or not to sell both cards and just buy a 7970. but id rather not go down that route.

Any info would be helpful. thank you :D

Im going to bump this thread because im not sure what to do. Ive resat the cards and even swapped spots. and nothing has worked. also ive updated the CCC to most recent (im surprised its worked 0.0 )

I'm not too sure about your board, but if I read correctly it's PCIE 2.0 slots are (top-down) x16, x8, and x4.

Since there is a difference in bandwidth between the slots, and assuming you're using the x16 and x8 slots, you might try using tape to cover up the connectors on your video card in the x16 slot to force it to x8 bandwidth so that the cards can perform more evenly.

I can't find the article I read about it or the pictures of how many connectors to cover with tape, but I'll keep looking and edit it into this message if I do.

EDIT: This is somewhat what I was talking about, but not the article I was looking for which I still can't find. :( It does show how you use tape to alter the bandwidth though. You'll have to count the connectors precisely thought and cover up the appropriate amount.

Last edited:
Theres not really anything you can do to get rid of microstutter. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html is a decent read on it. Essentially, you either have to deal with it, or sell your cards for a single card solution.

Also, your board probably drops the first x16 pcie slot to x8 when the second one is populated, so no need to worry about covering pins on your graphics card. Almost all, if not all, 1155 boards split the bandwidth to x8 and x8, or have an additional chip for x16 in both slots.

Ill take a look at that link when i get home, but yeah my MOBO supports dual PCI-e slots at x8/x8 so they should be runnig at the same bandwidth, right? I didnt want to go down to a single card solution considering im gaming at 5760x1080 but that was back then. im sure a single 7970 could support triple monitor gameing these days, so ill look into that again.

Tri fire gets rid of the stutter if you add a third card. try ebay for a second hand one.

For 3 screen a single 7970 not so much for bf3, but other games does ok.

Back