• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE9 is closed but sound still keeps playing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manishrathi

Registered
I was watching a streaming video on IE9. Now I closed all IE9 windows, but still sound of video keeps playing ? Why is that ? Why does sound keep playing eventhough I have closed all windows ? I checked task manager and I dont see any IE application open. I opened the IE9 again. I stopped sound from playing on video because sound from earlier window(which has been closed) is still playing. Then I checked processes in task manager and I see an additional iexplore.exe process there. I closed all processes and then sound stopped playing. But to stop sound from playing, I had to end all processes.

Whats this going on ? Is this an issue with IE9 ? Why does a process does not end when application is closed ? Is a process independent of application ? Does an application have more than one process ?
Is there a way to figure out which process is playing sound ?

Thanks

The most likely scenario is that you had a pop-under launch outside of the visible area on the monitor and that was playing the sound.

The most likely scenario is that you had a pop-under launch outside of the visible area on the monitor and that was playing the sound.
So whats "pop-under launch" ? How can it be launched ?

Thanks

Popunder is just like a pop-up that a website would open, but instead of it being visible on your screen.. the developers use javascript to move it behind the main browser window and over to the side so it can't be seen on the monitor... It's just a "crappy" way of doing advertising, but some sites do it.
The reason I say that is because you mentioned that even after you had closed IE you could still see iexplore.exe in task manager... That means that there was another "hidden" window still open.

This sound is not for an advertising. Its the sound of game that I was watching.
Secondly, this happened twice. So after I killed all proceses and restarted it, this issue did not happen again.

If all the IE applications are closed, how can an iexplore.exe process be still active ? I checked applications in task bar and no IE application is running, but in processes iexplore.exe process was running.

How can this be ?

This happens to me sometimes with firefox while watching YouTube vids. Even after I kill any Firefox processes, the video sound keeps playing.

Back