• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering a 7850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micjmac

Will I be able to take full advantage of this card with my setup? Do I need to OC? But more importantly, do I need a mobo that supports PCIe 3.0? I will be using this for Battlefield 3 and probably GW2/D3 and I want to max out (don't need AA tho)

Will I be able to take full advantage of this card with my setup? Do I need to OC? But more importantly, do I need a mobo that supports PCIe 3.0? I will be using this for Battlefield 3 and probably GW2/D3 and I want to max out (don't need AA tho)

Your CPU might be fine, tho thats an early i5 and i don't know how good it is, At high res the CPU is much less important than the GPU.
Your MOBO should not really matter as long as it has PCIe 2 (you don't need PCIe 3)
Your PSU is fine
You RAM will be a problem, you will need 8GB to run BF3 on ultra.

BF3 is probably the most GPU demanding game there. The 7850 will max BF3 and you will get about 50 - 55 FPS (that's with AA and all on)
If you overclock it your should get 60 - 65 FPS. (1920 x 1080P)

Currently the 7850 / 7870 are the best GPU for the money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html

Last edited:
Really? I need 8GB of RAM? That sounds excessive for one application. Hmmm 2x4GB or just get two more sticks of 2GB? Or one more stick of 4GB? I'm a RAM noob lawl.

Really? I need 8GB of RAM? That sounds excessive for one application. Hmmm 2x4GB or just get two more sticks of 2GB? Or one more stick of 4GB? I'm a RAM noob lawl.

Trust me 4GB is not enougth for BF3 with that card :)

I'm running a 3 year old Overclocked 5770, i can get everything on high with 45 - 50 FPS.

My 4GB of RAM is maxed out, totally full during BF3, I will be getting 8GB.
And that will be enougth.

The best way to go is a (2x 4GB set)

Ever consider overclocking your processor?

OC cpu as much as you can

If you don't want to upgrade ram then you can try to minimize as many RAM using programs as possible when gaming.

pci 2.0 is fine

i dunno id say bf3 is boardlineing 4gb mem.. i dont think you would have a issue at 4gb if thats all you have. i play it at work on med/high settings with 4gb and notice no problems i personalty think that win7 will utilize what you have.

i think you will be fine just try it if your ram is lacking upgrade that later.

and yes even a mild oc on the proc will help

Ever consider overclocking your processor?

OC cpu as much as you can

Following up on these guys, I managed to overclock my i5 750 to 3.5 GHz (BCLK=175) with 1.225v (which is less than the standard 1.3v), so you should really go for it assuming you have a decent cooling solution. Just be sure to disable Turbo Boost, and for your RAM, 175 * 10 = 1750 Mhz or 175 * 8 = 1400 MHz. Also, it should be noted that 3.5 GHz (without Turbo Boost) is Lynnfield's sweet spot before it begins to exceed 95w... At 3.6 GHz (without Turbo Boost) or even at stock with Turbo Boost, it can hit over 100w.

I had a 760 at 4.2Ghz and it was an amazing processor for the money. Dont be afraid to push it.

Newegg just got some in stock. I went with the Sapphire one.

I finally see the Asus one on Newegg and it seems like they discontinued the Sapphire. I just saw a thread that Sapphire warranties are terrible. Wondering if I should just return this for the Asus...

I finally see the Asus one on Newegg and it seems like they discontinued the Sapphire. I just saw a thread that Sapphire warranties are terrible. Wondering if I should just return this for the Asus...

If they will let you go for it...

Back