• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC running games very poorly with an FX 8120.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HighTide

Registered
System specs:

8 GB DDR-3 RAM
Radeon 6950 HD IceQ X Turbo 2 GB
AMD FX-8120 8-core 3.1 ghz
AMD 970 motherboard
800-watt power supply (received from friend, no brand on it)
Some sort of liquid cooling (received from friend also)

I know the FX 8120 isn't meant for gaming, but my FPS is horrible in majority of the games I play even with a fresh install of Windows 7 and reformatting the drives.

The computer was pre-built.

When idle, my CPU temperatures will randomly jump from 22ish to around 32 consistantly. I'm not really sure why.

The first picture is idle and the second is under load.

Attachments

• hwmonitor idle.png
    hwmonitor idle.png
    20 KB · Views: 995
  • hwmonitor under load.png
    hwmonitor under load.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
^Yes, temps look ok.
And even if it's not the best gaming CPU, it is still a decent CPU.
What do you mean by "horrible"? What games?

HighTide, please attach pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

What kind of PSU do you have and what is your power settings??? Your both +12 and +5 volatages are low.... I am guessing you have very low quality PSU.
and Your load CPU Vcore looks good but your CPU needs to get little better than 0.88 V even when idle.
and your max temp for cores and CPU both are same on idle or max load??? thats kind of unlikely.

^My 8120 was idling @0.88v as well.
At load it is 56°C for the CPU and 44°C for the cores.

I've tried running every form of CPU-Z and it never works for me...

It says "CPU-Z has stopped working" every time.

I click more info and it says "Files that help describe this problem: C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA297.tmp.hdmp".

I tried clearing out the temp and such but nothing.

And for FPS issues, I was playing Guild Wars 2 on LOWEST settings and still getting around 20-30 FPS.

Same with Assassin's Creed and such.

Last edited:
Well I got it to load up once, but the Memory and SPD tabs were both completely blank...

Now it's not giving me an error message but just not loading up at all.

Have you tried unistalling and reinstalling CPU-z? Make sure you go the author's website and get the latest version.

That PSU is under questioning, abnormal poor graphic performance is someones the slave of a insufficient power supply, which happens to be generic.

Any power supply you'd recommend me buy before I go and purchase another processor?

@trents, Yes, I've reinstalled 2 times now and download from CPUID.

Go with a bronze rated Seasonic, Corsair TX/HX or Antec in the 600-650 watt range. Those no name PSUs like you are using now typically have greatly exaggerated wattage ratings and produce "dirty" power to boot with a lot of sideband electrical noise and voltage variance that can contribute to instability and poor overclocks.

No. PSUs are standard, universal plug n play items unless you get into mini cases and box store computer proprietary stuff.

Thanks guys, I'll purchase it soon and see how it performs.

I just hope it's not my graphics card considering this computer was pre-built and the card could be damaged in some sort of way.

you said you swaped this cpu into a prebuilt computer and motherboard what brand and model is it, we need to see if the board has a bios update for this cpu.

Back