• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crystalol

Registered
My current build:

Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155
i5 2500k : 4.2ghz (1.3v) (yeah i know, high vcore, bad chip/mobo)
GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
8GB DDR3
1TB Samsung F1
DVDRW
3x 120mm 1x 140mm Fans
Ocz Stealthxstream 600w (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/ocz_stealthxstream_600_watt_psu/1)

I'm 100% stable on my current setup and everything is great. I've decided to treat myself to a MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III Power Edition / OC 1280MB GDDR5. It seems to have similar power draw to a GTX 570. I'm just wondering if you think my current PSU will be able to handle this upgrade? I don't plan on overclocking the GPU, but I would like to keep my 4.2 OC on my cpu.

I know the unit is old, and I've used it a couple years which I guess is a factor.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

you should be fine power wise.
if you do decide to replace your current psu, just make sure to keep quality in mind. A cheap psu has the chance to hose everybit of your hardware during a fail. Cant quite fathom why some want to cheap out on the supply, as it is very important to keep quality and value at the top of your thoughts.

why dont you get a 460 sli ? hmm 1.3 vcore add a bit like 0.10-0.30vcore which gives u 1.33-1.36 "whatever" (hate math) u can get 4.5ghz. on the psu 600w is good enough IF you only have like 2-4pcs standard 120mm fans go for more im not really sure. and ive been seing bad reviews about ocz psu's.

if you dont do benchmarking think about 460sli first. check on the approved psu list here on overclockers. they have a list of tested and reviewed parts.

why dont you get a 460 sli ? hmm 1.3 vcore add a bit like 0.10-0.30vcore which gives u 1.33-1.36 "whatever" (hate math) u can get 4.5ghz. on the psu 600w is good enough IF you only have like 2-4pcs standard 120mm fans go for more im not really sure. and ive been seing bad reviews about ocz psu's.

if you dont do benchmarking think about 460sli first. check on the approved psu list here on overclockers. they have a list of tested and reviewed parts.

My mobo is crap, hence the high vcore low OC. To reach 4.5 stable on this mobo requires like 1.37v. Also this mobo is xfire 4x/16x, so SLI is not an option.

I'm really just asking about the PSU I've currently got being able to power my current setup with the card mentioned.

I'm aware OCZ psu's these days aren't so greatly praised, however at the time I bought this (some years ago) it was fairly well reviewed by all the big sites.

It wasn't cheap, but it was definantly entry level in terms of "branded" psu's. I will get a decent 750w if I need to upgrade, however if this PSU will power this rig with the 560ti 448, then I will wait for my next build before upgrading.

Regards

have you seen a 4x 4x sli and a x16 x16 sli comparison ? bet you didn't . . . sometimes its just higher numbers shows higher something for something.

and oh im running i5 2500k on 1.36vcore idle and 1.33vcore on full load. whats wrong with that ?

and to add to that having a high vcore low oc is not on your mobo its the chip

have you seen a 4x 4x sli and a x16 x16 sli comparison ? bet you didn't . . . sometimes its just higher numbers shows higher something for something.

and oh im running i5 2500k on 1.36vcore idle and 1.33vcore on full load. whats wrong with that ?

Yes I have. I'm fully aware the the difference is not huge. However you are missing an important point, my motherboard. Have you seen how difficult nigh impossible it is to run SLI on a Xfire board?

Onto your point about the CPU. The motherboard I'm using is poor at best. It is not a great overclocker, only uses offsets and those are quite inconsistant and buggy. The OC features on the board are very hit n miss, and achieving a good OC with a low vcore is tough. Coupled with my average at best chip (not all components are created equally) 4.2 @ 1.3v has been the best balance of OC, Vcore and stability. I spent many weeks testing this chip/mobo before finally settling at this setting. 4.5 required 1.37 to remain stable in prime/ibt.

Again this post has nothing to do with my OC, or wanting advice on the best gpu.

I have bought the 560ti 448 as it was a great deal in my country. I will be using it with the spec mentioned in the OP. I just wanted to get some input on wether or not the PSU will hold up ok. I know that the system will draw at most 550w~ full load, but I just wanted some confirmation.

Regards.

you dont need any confirmation when you already confirmed it yourself.

What's your problem?

I just want to hear some input from those more experienced about power requirements / psu's than myself. You clearly don't have a clue based on your advice on my OC / gpu choice (which aswell as being incorrect, wasn't asked for or needed)

I fail to see why you are still posting in this thread. You haven't remotely touched on the original question, instead offered bad advice about a totally seperate subject.

Regards.

something is wrong with me. lemme go to a forum ask something post some credentials and don't accept anything that someone would say cause im already decided.

Back