• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS 512 (G92) died need replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kx7

Registered
I have an older system with a core2duo x6800 extreme 2.93ghz and 4gigs ddr2. I want a replacement that will fit this system without having a huge bottleneck. Looking at the gts 450, and the 550 ti. I'm strickly a nvidia user so no ati cards. I'm leaning towards a used gts 450 on ebay or something. Thoughts?

GTS450 will do wonders for that system.
Alternatively a quick bake will probably fix that GPU if you're feeling brave or broke.

GTS450 will do wonders for that system.
Alternatively a quick bake will probably fix that GPU if you're feeling brave or broke.

I'm sure it would do fine, however i can get a gtx 550 ti for actually less money after rebate. What do you think? I can't make up my mind. :bang head

To clarify, i'm not trying to make it bottleneck.. Just find a suitable replacement. Both the 450 and 550 ti are very close in price now.

The 550ti is the more powerful card of the two you listed. If you can get a 550 for less than a 450 then go for it.

As to what bobnova said about baking your card there is a thread about it. Alot of 8xx series cards were know to fail from weak solder points. Alot of the time stuffing it in your oven for a while will actually fix the card:shrug:

Thanks for the input. I went for the gtx 550 ti. :attn:

Back