• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random System Lock Ups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidArrogance

This problem has been existing for about a year but seems to be getting more frequent lately (3-5 times a day). The system simply freezes. Picture freezes, no sound, no input response, nadda. Only option is a hard reset.

I don't think it's a heat issue because there is no telling when it will do it. It happens often while gaming, but also happens often while surfing the web or typing in word, and happens at least a couple times a week in middle of night when the computer isn't being touched or used apart from utorrent running.

Furthermore, I can't duplicate the problem to save my life. I can literally play battlefield with prime 95 running in the background and sure it's choppy, but no freeze!

I have almost no doubt it's hardware related because the problem existed on a previous WinXP build and persisted after a complete format and fresh install of Win7 64bit.

I've checked the Mobo for leaking / bulging caps and didn't see any. I'm _hoping_ it's a PSU issue because that would be pretty simple and easy to replace (and cheap -- can't afford a new build for at least another year or so). It's my understanding that failing PSUs would cause shutdowns, restarts, and blue screens, not lockups, though? It also doesn't make sense to me that a PSU would cause it to do this when the computer is not being touched?

The PSU is def. stressed and I know I'm pushing it (don't laugh) it's a five year old Enermax 535w. I imagine this is laughably tiny for what I'm running on it. It was plenty when I built this rig with an e6850 and single 8800 gts, though.

Would insufficient power cause these symptoms? Again, I thought insufficient power would cause shutdowns and blue screens, not lock ups. Also, is the fact that it freezes in middle of the night when no one is touching it consistent with a PSU issue? I guess that doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks peeps!!

524381_441207332562967_436554202_n.jpg

Thanks for the reply. No overclocks anywhere.

Prime 95 seems to be no problem. The computer will eventually freeze when running prime, but like I said, the computer freezes even when I'm not touching it.

Also like I said, I can run Prime95 and game simultaneously without immediate issue.

Trying Linx now and will report back.

Had someone at Toms recommend an overnight memtest run. I know I've done about 4 hours of memtest with no issues but will give overnight a shot.

Thanks again for the replies.

Open either Core Temp or Real Temp and post the VID of your chip, also the loaded Vcore as shown by CPU-Z while running Prime.

Thanks again for your help with this. It' been driving me mad.

Linx seems to have finished OK -- I've never used that test before so I just let it go with default settings.

477016_441426142541086_100000211125401_1841875_990011164_o.jpg

Bump the Vcore .04-.05V = ~1.35 loaded Vcore.

Ok, I manually set the vcore in bios to 1.35 (I think this is what you were recommending) and am running Linx again.

My options in bios were either 1.35 or 1.34375

Coretemp is now reporting a VID of 1.3500v under load.

Will report back.

Thank you again!! :attn:

The VID (Voltage ID) of the chip won't change, only the idle and loaded Vcore depending on set Vcc and Vdroop / LLC.

The VID (Voltage ID) of the chip won't change, only the idle and loaded Vcore depending on set Vcc and Vdroop / LLC.

Got it.

Linx finished no problem (while running a 720p vid on a second monitor for whatever that's worth). Prime 95 going right now. Core voltage under prime load is now reading 1.264. Idle is reading 1.328.

The Vcore / LLC / Vdroop settings in the BIOS need to modified such that the Vcore while under 100% load is 1.35V.

It sould also be your PSU. It just could be worn out/over loaded to much and with any flux in power from the wall, the PSU can not compensate the disturbance and volt drops to low and locks the system up.

The Vcore / LLC / Vdroop settings in the BIOS need to modified such that the Vcore while under 100% load is 1.35V.

Deleted. Think I was suffering temporary delirium due to inability to interpret decimal places.

477806_441494299200937_100000211125401_1842015_63110919_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ok . . . I think I find the sweet spot. Had to jump the vcore voltage all the way to 1.46250 which seems excessive to me considering there's no overclock.

Now have a 1.424 idle and prime 95 fluctuating between 1.344 and 1.36 in cpu-z.

So leave it here and see what happens with the freezing?

Was the auto voltage setting just not feeding the cpu what it needed?

Had a happy 2 hour frag fest earlier without issue and ran a double instance of convertx to dvd this evening which also used to cause a lot of lock ups. No issues so far . . . hope it keeps up. Thanks again :clap:

Back