• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Shadow on screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
My 3~4 yr. old 42" Toshiba LCD has what can only be described as a dark "shadow" descending down from the top-middle of the screen. I thought that perhaps it was dust that was accumulating on the inside of the screen, through the vent slots along the top of the screen. I took a gamble and blew compressed air down through the vent slots for about 2 minutes. This procedure did not produce any noticeable change.

Any thoughts on the cause of the shadow, and any possible remedies?

hello. i live in abu dhabi and i work as a sales rep. for electronics. im living with people who works for samsung/sony and bunch of panels. 1 guy told me about the LAMP module. its 2-3inch fuse type that takes charge of the light. now if you will notice at the back of your panel theres a small slot there which is covered with something. i cant point out exactly where it is or if that model comes with a external LAMP or internal which in that case you need to give the service crew a call.

The screen appears sharp and bright, aside from the shadowy area, which is perhaps 3" wide and extends down to about halfway down the screen. I don't think that I can get a decent photo of the screen and the shadow, it would be nice as one picture is certainly worth 1000 words. ;)

do you have a black light with you ? if you do can u switch it off and let it cool then check if theres any dead pixel or something on that part. it could be 2 or 3 reasons why that shadow is there. 1. lamp fuse faded already. 2. Dead pixel 3.Moist. if its in the center well its probably 1 or 3. dead pixel would only occur if its physically damaged or a power surge.

I finally got around to going about taking a picture of what is going on with the TV screen; as they say a picture is worth a thousand words- the shadow in question is to the left of the orangish bracket:

tvscreen.jpg

The shadow has gotten bigger since the OP, growing downwards a bit.

Last edited:
Well since the screen is practically & techically beyond repair, I'm opting to get a newer, bigger (but less expensive) replacement for the living room, and set them one up in out home 'gym'.

Update:

I did buy a 47" LCD to take the place of this TV, in the living room; this unit got placed in front of our elliptical.

Thing is- the shadow on the screen has disappeared completely. Since I go to the gym now, and rarely use the elliptical at home, this TV stays powered off for weeks at a time. :shrug:

Back