• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faster internet speed test in IE?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iam99x

I use Google Chrome. Lately, at random, it seems like the internet isn't responding. It starts going slow for a minute, then completely depletes. A minute or so later, it comes back like nothing happened.

When this just happened a minute ago, I decided to see how IE (hate it) was working. It came up just fine. I decided to run a couple speed test in IE from speedtest.net...and when Chrome decided to work again, I ran the tests in it, also.

IE
1st test: 41.06Mbps / 4.18Mbps
2nd test: 39.38Mbps / 4.19Mbps

Chrome
1st test: 19.42Mbps / 4.23Mbps
2nd test: 38.72Mbps / 4.24Mbps

It seems like Chrome isn't stable. I don't use any add-ons other than Flash/Reader in any of my browsers. I had no other programs or other devices running while running the tests. Has anyone else had a issue with Chrome?

Numbers look consistent to me, except for one hiccup during your Chrome test. I don't think that is the issue. If the website didn't work in one browser and then you tried it in another and it worked, there is a high change it was a short connection issue on your side or the server. That doesn't mean it is an issue with the browser.

I would suggest leaving a constant ping open with a website to see if that cuts out (ping -t google.com). It this stops working the same time your browser does, it isn't the browser. This is assuming that you are having issues with multiple websites. If it only one, use that website instead of Google.

Thanks^. I agree that the tests didn't do much for explaining my issue. I was trying to figure out why it was faster in IE. The tests did confirm that, but didn't explain my issue.

After doing some more searching, I think I have solved the issue.

Chrome has a couple of features called, "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" and "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors." I read that these two features can cause some websites to not load up, or load VERY slowly. I disabled them, and so far everything has been working just fine.

I hope this can help anyone else experiencing these problems.

Back