• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP/Compaq nightmare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

So I got one HP and one Dell from a friend, specs below:

HP:
2GB DDR2
Turion X2 2.0GHz (Not sure about FSB) Socket1
Nvidia 7150

Compaq:
1GB DDR2
Sempron 2.0Ghz *Shudder* Socket1
Nvidia 8200m

So the HP is hosed, it won't post or anything at all. Upon disassembly I come to find that the CPUs are removable. I get the bright idea that I can just swap out the Turion X2 from the dead HP and put it into the Compaq and swap out the RAM too while I'm at it.

After jacking around and cutting my finger tips in more ways than one I reapplied some AS5 and situated the Turioun into it's new home.

Now the friggin' thing won't boot, POST, or anything. I even took the RAM Modules out and it didn't even beep.

No LED Activity except for the Power LED. HDD LED/indicator is completely dead.

I'm open to any and all suggestions ... I know the S1 sockets had different revisions but surely to god a newer Compaq can handle an older Turion if they're the same socket :confused: :confused:

Well not that it matters but the Turion x2 was from 2005 and the Sempron from 2007. After reading the specs it turns out the Turion is not compatible and even if I get it working somehow this laptop isn't designed to cool such a powerful processor.

Back