• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge Motherboards and confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darq

Registered
All right I was just about to purchase all my parts for a new build and then ivy bridge and z77 comes out :D any way i'm now confused. I was going to order a Asus p8z68 v-pro/Gen 3 mobo and a i5 2500k then I decided to switch to a MSI Z77A-GD65 and wait for ivy bridge. Now that ivy bridge came out I hear that it has heat issues when over clocking like 80-90c with adequate cooling like with a H100 IDK but that seems like a BIG problem. Now any way i'm not sure to get a i5-3570K with the MSI mobo or just stick with the Asus and i5 2500k or maybe the MSI with the 2500k Im just very confused :bang head: Just tell me what you think I should do so i can finally get my hands on my build after months of roomers and delays.

What do you plan to OC it to? Some people are seeing decent temps at 4.7ghz.. just depends on how the retail chips perform.. revisons/batches etc.. wait a few days to see what people say about their retail chips.

What do you plan to OC it to? Some people are seeing decent temps at 4.7ghz.. just depends on how the retail chips perform.. revisons/batches etc.. wait a few days to see what people say about their retail chips.
Idk what i want to oc to but 4.7 sounds real nice maybe 4.5 so what do you recommend and if i go with the 2500k should i go with the z68 asus mobo or stick with the msi

Ib stays within reasonable temps if you stay below 1.39 volts i think. This is a good mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293.
and you can reach about 4.8 with 1.39

by reasonable you mean 90+ on load right? XD. in the 3770 review on this site he was loading in the early 80's @ 4.8 ghz @ 1.26. 1.39 V's on a IB will melt your computer unless you pumping liquid nitrogen on it 24/7 ( he was using a custom loop with a 360 rad in it. I dont know about the retail versions but if they are the same as the one reviewed your gona have serious temp issues.

I would not even attempt over 4.6ghz unless you planning on running a custom WC loop. Some of the high end air coolers might be able to handle 4.8 ghz but probably only just.

With a 2500k you would probs be loading about 15-20c cooler at similar freq. I would hazard that you could OC the 2500k enough to make up the 2-7% difference in performance and still stay at lower temps.

I went SB i7-2600K with a IB board, ASRock z77 Extreem4 and I love that board. Down the road I could drop in a i7 IB cpu and then take advantage of the PCI-e 3.0 but till then, dont really need the PCI-e 3

by reasonable you mean 90+ on load right? XD. in the 3770 review on this site he was loading in the early 80's @ 4.8 ghz @ 1.26. 1.39 V's on a IB will melt your computer unless you pumping liquid nitrogen on it 24/7 ( he was using a custom loop with a 360 rad in it. I dont know about the retail versions but if they are the same as the one reviewed your gona have serious temp issues.

I would not even attempt over 4.6ghz unless you planning on running a custom WC loop. Some of the high end air coolers might be able to handle 4.8 ghz but probably only just.

With a 2500k you would probs be loading about 15-20c cooler at similar freq. I would hazard that you could OC the 2500k enough to make up the 2-7% difference in performance and still stay at lower temps.

ill be using a H100 and probably the IB and MSI board how high do you think I can safely over clock it to or do you recommend my other choice or maybe something else? idk

i cant comment on what temps will be with individual setups. I dont have a IB. BUt going on the review and considering he has a very nice custom loop with a 360 rad just for the CPU you are going to be loading in the 80's at least while at 4.8, probably more. 5ghz will not be possible without a seriously good cooling setup ( he was hitting in the mid 90's which is FAR too hot. i think that was 1.35 or something, cant remember.)

All im saying is that if you plan to OC on an air cooler/ all in one WC dont expect to get much past 4.6, if you lucky 4.8 before you temps get too high

Ultimately its you choice. I personally would get a cheap ( maybe second hand?) IB 2600k or something and a z77 mobo, and whack a later revision of the IB further down the line ( that is providing you have the money to do it) when they have sorted out the heat issues. I'm personally not bothered about PCIE 3 as i dont think well be seeing much use of if for at least a year.

i cant comment on what temps will be with individual setups. I dont have a IB. BUt going on the review and considering he has a very nice custom loop with a 360 rad just for the CPU you are going to be loading in the 80's at least while at 4.8, probably more. 5ghz will not be possible without a seriously good cooling setup ( he was hitting in the mid 90's which is FAR too hot. i think that was 1.35 or something, cant remember.)

All im saying is that if you plan to OC on an air cooler/ all in one WC dont expect to get much past 4.6, if you lucky 4.8 before you temps get too high

Ultimately its you choice. I personally would get a cheap ( maybe second hand?) IB 2600k or something and a z77 mobo, and whack a later revision of the IB further down the line ( that is providing you have the money to do it) when they have sorted out the heat issues. I'm personally not bothered about PCIE 3 as i dont think well be seeing much use of if for at least a year.
so are you recommending I go with SB instead of IB or a SB with a z77 or z68 what do you recommend?

I would actually say hold off entirely till prices have dropped and they bring out a new revision of the IB. But hell thats a lot to ask of someone who wants to build a comp asap ( i know how i get.)

I would say get everything you planned to get but with an SB CPU ( z77 mobo etc). It will set you back a bit more cash in the end but it means you can then pick up a cheaper newer revision of the IB when they release it, hopefully having sorted out the heat probs. If they havent then performance wise it wont be much different as youll be able to OC the SB more so you can just stick with that till haswell.

But as i said its down to you. If you dont get a IB you wont be able to utilize PCIE3. Ultimately if you dont mind having a early revision of an IB which is going to run hot and not allow a massive OC on it, do it. IF you want the best bang for you buck i would say pick up a second hand 2500k and wait for the newer IB's to get released. That is my personal opinion though. People may disagree, but in the end its up to you.

I dont want to tell you what to do rather let you know all your options and that you wont be missing out on much by going SB over IB for the time being.

Back