• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Gene Owner Resources - BIOS, Guide, Reviews, and Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Welcome Asus MVG owners. :) The first post of this thread will share resources available for you. The replies and comments are for you to suggest additions to the first post, ask any MVG related questions, and connect with other MVG owners.

I have one of these personally, so I'll be sharing what I find on the subzero cooling side of things.

Reviews:
Maximus V Gene Z77 mATX Review @ Overclockers.com

HardwareCanucks - Guru3D.com - TechRadar.com - KitGuru.net - HiTechLegion.com - Motherboards.org - Eteknix.com - Reply to thread to add another review!

BIOS - Official:

BIOS - Un-official:

Tools:
MemTweakit - View attachment MemtweakIt-1016-setup.zip

Tweaking Guides:
m5gguide - View attachment m5gguide.pdf - LN2 tweaking by Shamino

Advice:
http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721
This thread (first post) at kingpin cooling shows how to enable LN2 mode, how to set slow mode, and some other tips.
"Points to watch when running LN2 Cooling for the best cold-bug free runs:
- Use a BCLK of 105MHz or higher
- Find the right CPU PLL Voltage that your CPU likes (can be higher or lower than default)
- Some CPUs may only initialize their high IMC Frequency at a warmer temperature though they may work fine after that
- ‘23’ when trying to boot means cpu imc not able to run at that frequency at that temperature. ‘30’ means the same and a bit more = ‘23’
- Highest DRAM Ratio known to be working = 2933 ratio

With CPU and PSC Chipset DRAM under LN2, it can churn out crazy numbers such as 2x2GB @ 3036MHz CL6-11-7-1T!"
and
A note on LN2’ed DRAMs
PSC scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. Might not work too cold. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
BBSE Really scales on cold, the colder the better. May scale up to ~ 2.30v
Samsung just slightly chilled, colder and it gets worse. May scale up to ~ 2.20v
Hynix scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
PSC are almost always 2GB sticks and typically have rated RAS to CAS Delay much higher than CAS, for eg 8-11-8, 9-11-9, etc
Hynix presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then downwards rated timing, such as 9-11-10, 10-12-11. They normally don’t scale much past 1.67v as well.
Samsung Presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then evening out rated timing, such as 10-12-12. They normally scale up to 1.80v and can do unusually low TRAS at high speeds, such as 21.

Some other very good stuff in there as well.

Results:

Results are sorted by Cooling/S-Spec/Batch Number/Frequency. Reply below to add your results.

LN2

I.M.O.G. - S-Spec: SR0PL - Batch: L206A973 - 5720MHz
Frequency: 5.72GHz at 1.75V would do wp32 and wp1024. Trouble getting into windows at 5.8GHz, though with more time/voltage I believe it could do it.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2279683_
http://hwbot.org/submission/2279684_

ColdBug: Cold boot bugs at -85C at the base of the pot, cold bugs around -115C at the base of the pot (my current temp probe reads -180 when dipped in LN2, so actual readings on probe were -75C/-105C). Tested CPU PLL from 1.7V to 1.95V (default read 1.812 in BIOS). Tested bclk from 105-110, trouble getting higher bclk to post. Tested CPU voltage from 1.0V to 1.75V. None of these items, with or without LN2 mode enabled on the MVG, made any difference at all upon the cold bug behavior of this particular chip from what I found.

Other: I did not test RAM. Really only tested cold bug behavior, and once I found I couldn't work around it with anything I was trying, I didn't want to press the chip any harder - it will be sold. Looking to get another from a different store (and hopefully different batch) in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Had this board for a few days and its truly amazing. Asus makes such amazing products and at 199.99 its a steal

Nice Don!

Can you take a screenshot showing your AISUITE window, cpuz main and memory tabs, and realtemp - would like to see all the the settings you are using for 4.7GHz on the 3570K, and it may help others. :)

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721
This thread (first post) at kingpin cooling shows how to enable LN2 mode, how to set slow mode, and some other tips.
"Points to watch when running LN2 Cooling for the best cold-bug free runs:
- Use a BCLK of 105MHz or higher
- Find the right CPU PLL Voltage that your CPU likes (can be higher or lower than default)
- Some CPUs may only initialize their high IMC Frequency at a warmer temperature though they may work fine after that
- ‘23’ when trying to boot means cpu imc not able to run at that frequency at that temperature. ‘30’ means the same and a bit more = ‘23’
- Highest DRAM Ratio known to be working = 2933 ratio

With CPU and PSC Chipset DRAM under LN2, it can churn out crazy numbers such as 2x2GB @ 3036MHz CL6-11-7-1T!"
and
A note on LN2’ed DRAMs
PSC scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. Might not work too cold. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
BBSE Really scales on cold, the colder the better. May scale up to ~ 2.30v
Samsung just slightly chilled, colder and it gets worse. May scale up to ~ 2.20v
Hynix scales on cold but ~ frosted temps, maybe -40+C is enough to max out the rams. May scale up to ~ 1.95v
PSC are almost always 2GB sticks and typically have rated RAS to CAS Delay much higher than CAS, for eg 8-11-8, 9-11-9, etc
Hynix presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then downwards rated timing, such as 9-11-10, 10-12-11. They normally don’t scale much past 1.67v as well.
Samsung Presets are for 4GB sticks that are usually rated 2133 or more and have slopping upwards and then evening out rated timing, such as 10-12-12. They normally scale up to 1.80v and can do unusually low TRAS at high speeds, such as 21.

Some other very good stuff in there as well.

Great addition, I had seen those cold ram recommendations and couldn't find them again. Added that to the advice section in first post, within the spoiler tags to keep things compact. :salute:

With first 3770K retail sample in the first hour, Cold Boot Bug at -75C, Cold Bug at -108C. Tried LN2 mode enabled, modest LN2 auto-profile, various CPU voltage settings, CPU PLL at 1.8V-1.85V (defaulted to about 1.82V)... Nothing changed the cold bug behavior before I ran out of patience.

Perhaps there is no cold bug on Ivy Bridge if the settings are dialed in, but so far it seems like there is no cold bug on Ivy Bridge only perhaps if you find the holy grail of settings or if you have the right chip.

I'll try again tomorrow perhaps. Going to work on different CPU PLL first. Has anyone heard what worked for other people? The MVG guide says higher or lower may be better, but it doesn't say how much higher or lower.

My 3770K likes more ~1.75V PLL than anything above 1.8V. Only SS here but I made some fast tests @5.65GHz.
My GSkills/PSC are going up to ~2650 8-12-8-28 1T on air. Maybe IMC isn't bad but the one on FX8120 was better ;)
@IMOG I don't know if you read all these links from shamino's guide but try higher bclk. 105MHz is running from auto oc settings without any voltage changes even on Celeron ;) Higher blck should help in CB and CBB. I'm making something about -25*C idle on my SS but didn't check cpu temps under load as ASUS soft was crashing and ROG connect didn't work in WinXP and I had no other working system ( Win7 crashed when I switched cpu to 3770K ).

Last edited:
Thanks. Ya, AI Suite crashed in XP for me as well.

I've only tried bclk from 105 to 107. Going to work that between 108 and 120, see what works. Also going to work CPU PLL between 1.65 and 1.95.

Will report back... Mainly I was really frustrated last night because you hear this "no cold bug on IB" stuff, and this chip bugged worse than my Sandy Bridge.

Don, they are beta bioses so "better" isn't very clear cut. BIOS 0074 does however address several issues which were present in BIOS 0881.

I have tested 0881 (latest beta) and 0701 (latest official), and I haven't found much difference between them yet on my system.

Don, they are beta bioses so "better" isn't very clear cut. BIOS 0074 does however address several issues which were present in BIOS 0881.

I have tested 0881 (latest beta) and 0701 (latest official), and I haven't found much difference between them yet on my system.

Thanks IMOG

@Janus67: I meant don karnage, not don/janus67, (too many don's!) so I was just sharing my thoughts. I don't think it would hurt to see what Shamino says either, and thanks for the heads up on the new bios... I've added it to the first post, and fixed the broken links as well. :)

Back