• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 8pin power on Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NtheFace

Registered
SO i have the Asus Crosshair Formula V mobo, has a 8pin power at the top, currently have a 4 pin in there, came with a cap over the remaining 4. Should i plug in an 8 plug there. Am i missing power with having only a 4pin in?

Since your running a FX CPU, you most definitely want to use a 8 pin plug in the 8 pin power receptacle. If you're planning to OC the CPU then you should also populate the 4 pin power receptacle that is near the CPU fan connection.

Ok ill search a 4 pin to 8pin converter or 4 pin molar to 8 pin..

Yah i already got that 4pin plugged also..

i do have 8 pin connectors, but none of them have the right set up.. need the rounded end at the top, and square on the bottom, their all the other way around. cant put it upside down because the clasp will hit a capacitor

Does it matter if the 2+2 is crisscrossed.... like the 2 claps are on the outside of eachother rather than touching eachother? Just asking down want to have power going to ground and whatnot if i switch them around

2+2? What? Look at the link I provided and it shows you the connector. They only fit one way. :)

ok heres pics of what im talking about...

First pic shows them being crossed where the clips are on the outside and would not claps onto mobo(they fit mobo)

second pic shows the clips on the inside where they will clasp onto mobo( they will not fit the mobo in this configuration)

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 171
  • photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    394 KB · Views: 168
Looking at my mobo manual, id have to use 2 different 4+4 cords to make it work since 1 of the 4 pin of each 4+4 is all shield shaped connectors

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 176
Nm i checked it out i have whats needed with that, ill just have to run another 4+4... thanks you saved me a couple bucks, and provided me with some knowledge

Because my mobo has 12pins total 8pin plus another 4pin... so id need 2 4+4

Current set up is 4 in the 8pin slot and 4 in the 4pin slot next to cpu fan controller

Wow, 8-pin + 4pin, I also had no idea there are boards out there that need such power. You can see it on the mobo:

Newegg

Top of the line ASUS AMD board, too bad i dont yet have the knowledge to use it to its potential.

Those two 4 pin connectors will fit in the 8 pin receptacle if the clips are on the same side.
Only one of the 4 pin units has square pins so that one goes first and the other 4 pin unit
has half round pins and it will fit in the other half of the 8 pin receptacle.
Thats the way I just did my crossfire IV board and it works just fine, you'll find that hooked up that way you'll have
all the yellow wires in a row on top and all the ground ( black) wires in a row on the bottom just the way they are suppose to be.

Back