• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI is trying to pull one over on me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
OK, so they aren't being sneaky about anything in particular but they are definitely trying to pull one over on me.

I bought a 460 GTX Hawk-Talon edition which is thier fastest OC'd of the line. Then later I bought a second and SLI'd them and have been very happy. These have the Twin Frozer II VGA coolers on them.

The first card started to overheat and I found that the fans on the cooler were not spinning freely. I RMA'd without trouble. These have a 3 year warranty and while they were not registered, they were registered with copy of receipts before they were RMA'd.

Months later, the second card had the same issue so I RMA'd it. I got the return card with good fans on the cooler but it displayed artifacts instantly in 3D mode. WTF!?

I sent an email politely stating that I had lost faith in MSI for sending me a card that is worse than the one I RMA'd. They asked if I wanted the issue corrected. Really!? Do I want a good working video card in accordance to their warranty system? YES!

They sent me a shipping label so I'm good with that.

They sent me an email today asking if I would take a lesser video card. LESSER!? NO! I would like a card that is similar to the card I purchased.

Question: Would you accept a lesser card? Keep in mind I paid full asking price from a reputable etailer that has plenty of eggs. (Thinly disguised reference. Very thinly disguised.)

no i would not take a lesser card but i would take a upgraded card then sell other 460ti

After the original post, I received a second email asking if I would take a 470. While tempting, I opted not to accept that card as it uses too much energy, produces too much heat and does not perform that much faster than the 460 HAWK TALON-ATTACK which is their highest OC'd 460 card. This was all part of the original purchase decision when I bought the 460 HAWK TALON-ATTACK 1GB in the first place.

I did not hear from them after that.

Today I get the returned RMA and it's a 550GTX-Ti Cyclone II which is their mid-line OC on a lesser card.

I purchased their highest OC card of the 460 1 GB line and received a mid-level OC 550.

I am not happy with this. MSI sold a 3 year warranty and thus far is trying to cheap out on me. I had politely informed them in the first email that I would not accept a lesser card than what I purchased and yet that's exactly what they gave me.

I called their toll number and after being on hold for just a few minutes, the automated system forced me to leave a message. I did so and am awaiting a call back.

Any bets if they call me before the weekend?

My guess is, they don't have stock of the original 460s anymore to give you a replacement of the same card. The 256-bit 460s stopped being produced a long time ago (replaced by the 192-bit variant with higher clocks).

There's really not much they can do. They have already offered you a faster card (the 470), which you rejected.

My guess is, they don't have stock of the original 460s anymore to give you a replacement of the same card. The 256-bit 460s stopped being produced a long time ago (replaced by the 192-bit variant with higher clocks).

There's really not much they can do. They have already offered you a faster card (the 470), which you rejected.

Yeah, I'm betting if you look up the stipulations of your warranty you will see a clause about getting an exact replacement card, or if they do not have those in stock anymore, getting a better replacement - the 470. Even if it does use more power, it is technically a more expensive and better card, so it would have fallen under that replacement policy.

Having said that - if the 550 really does perform worse than your 460, then you should have that corrected.

The 550ti is about 15% slower than a 460-SE so yes its significantly slower than his original GTX 460 OC edition.

As far as being offered a 470 you probably should have taken it and they were well within the limitations of their warrante terms to do so. The 550Ti is probably within those same limitations although that is pretty shady.

ya i would have taken the 470 because even if you did not want it you could trade on these forums for a 460 (i know if someone had a 6970 and wanted a 6950 i would trade)

Back