• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Speed for Ivy Bridge Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes... A CPU running at 4.4GHz would obviously benchmark faster than if it were running at 3.6GHz. The question is whether there is an appreciable increase in real-world performance. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some FPS improvements in games. But I would be surprised if programmes feel a bit snappier in the desktop environment. Strangely, this was exactly what I noticed, hence my exclamation in my previous post.

Anyway, I managed to OC my extremely uncooperative pair of Corsair Vengeance from 1600MHz 9-9-9-27 1T to a marginally faster speed of 1800MHz 10-10-10-30 1T. (In my limited testing, 1866MHz was not stable no matter what timings I tried, nor was 1800MHz stable at any tighter timings.) Unfortunately, I did not notice any difference in the feel of the computer, contrary to Neuromancer's experience.

One more thing that I forgot to mention: I also switched between a RAM speed of 1333MHz 9-9-9-27 1T and 1800MHz to see whether I can notice the "feel" of using faster RAM that Neuromancer was talking about. Nope, even with a marked difference in memory bandwidth, the desktop feels exactly the same to me.

Last edited:
Back