• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest86+ Results....Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I've been having A LOT of software crashing without warning. I finally ran memtest86+ I don't know how long I should have let the software run though. It ran for over 1.5 hrs, tests 1 through 8 or 9. Memtest was at default settings.

All the errors occurred during Test 5. The errors were highlight in red on my screen.

After the zero pass, it found 233 errors

After the 1 pass, it found 938 errors

After pass 2, it was up to 1,450 errors (I'm assuming in total)

Few questions:

1. How long should I have run the test?
2. I assume my 2 sticks of RAM are now bad?

If so, I need to more sticks of RAM to keep this computer running.

Memtest86 screen's read w/the following for RAM settings:

167MHz (DDR 334) CAS 2-3-3-7, Dual Channel 128 bits

Can I still get memory for this mobo? If so, I'd take any recommendations. I don't need anything super speedy, as I'm building a new rig. However, I do want something that will keep this computer running.

Thanks in advance.

If anyone needs to see my previous BSOD post here it is

BSOD/Software Crashing

I feel your pain as i'm having memtest issues, mine are related to the actual mentest locking up. don't think its actually bad ram though.

none the less, at work we have found running memtest for 7 passes seems to be the sweet spot. the reason being is we've ran it for say 5 passes and it came up clean, and still had issues in windows. Ran it again, errors at 6 and 7 and who knows how further. On an average 7 seemed to deem right. Test the sticks 1 by one, in each slot to determine which stick is bad.

As far as your ram for your mobo i'm sure its out there, I even have some laying around as well. I'm sure the rest of the OC community does too up on the classifieds.

None the less, good luck.

I feel your pain as i'm having memtest issues, mine are related to the actual mentest locking up. don't think its actually bad ram though.

none the less, at work we have found running memtest for 7 passes seems to be the sweet spot. the reason being is we've ran it for say 5 passes and it came up clean, and still had issues in windows. Ran it again, errors at 6 and 7 and who knows how further. On an average 7 seemed to deem right. Test the sticks 1 by one, in each slot to determine which stick is bad.

As far as your ram for your mobo i'm sure its out there, I even have some laying around as well. I'm sure the rest of the OC community does too up on the classifieds.

None the less, good luck.

Thanks, but wouldn't getting errors at only the 3rd pass indicate I have bad RAM??

Thanks, but wouldn't getting errors at only the 3rd pass indicate I have bad RAM??

My apologies, I was referring to my memtest issue not being bad ram.

In your case, absolutely bad ram. 1 Error anywhere means bad ram, now it may not always cause issues. The more errors the more chance a program will run off that "bad" block of ram and cause issues, such as in your case in windows.

My apologies, I was referring to my memtest issue not being bad ram.

In your case, absolutely bad ram. 1 Error anywhere means bad ram, now it may not always cause issues. The more errors the more chance a program will run off that "bad" block of ram and cause issues, such as in your case in windows.

Thanks..that's what I thought hahaha.

Would this be the right RAM to get. My current is PC2700. So I'm just looking to replace it with either 1 Gig or 2gigs.

PC2700 RAM

Sorry, just replied to your PM. Try removing and reseating the RAM and retest. If still bad try increasing volts to the RAM slightly, if still bad then yeah, definitely faulty RAM.

Sorry, just replied to your PM. Try removing and reseating the RAM and retest. If still bad try increasing volts to the RAM slightly, if still bad then yeah, definitely faulty RAM.

I'll do that today. I just reseeded them. Curious, to test each stick individually, do I need to put each one in the DDR 1 slot (closest to the processor) ?

If both are bad, which would you recommend? See above for my PC2700 link

After the zero pass, it found 233 errors

After the 1 pass, it found 938 errors

After pass 2, it was up to 1,450 errors (I'm assuming in total)

Few questions:

1. How long should I have run the test?

Until the first error was reported and you could rule out other factors, like a bad power supply or motherboard or incorrect BIOS setup. I don't declare memory to be OK until it's 100% passed at least two different diagnostics, each for over 6-12 hours, with each module in each DIMM slot, alone and together.

2. I assume my 2 sticks of RAM are now bad?

Yes, if they were run according to specs, but some motherboards don't do that by default, especially for the memory voltage.

Last edited:
I'll do that today. I just reseeded them. Curious, to test each stick individually, do I need to put each one in the DDR 1 slot (closest to the processor) ?

If both are bad, which would you recommend? See above for my PC2700 link

Nah, I'd run it with all modules in initially. If you end up with errors then test 1 stick at a time to determine which are faulty. DDR slot 1 is the one which should be populated for this testing.

Nah, I'd run it with all modules in initially. If you end up with errors then test 1 stick at a time to determine which are faulty. DDR slot 1 is the one which should be populated for this testing.

I already ran it w/both sticks haha.

Well they were bought as a set. I called Corsair today, they gave me an RMA and will replace both sticks! SWEET :D:D:D:D

I don't declare memory to be OK until it's 100% passed at least two different diagnostics, each for over 6-12 hours, with each module in each DIMM slot, alone and together.

Yes, if they were run according to specs, but some motherboards don't do that by default, especially for the memory voltage.

What 2 different diagnostics do you run?

If you run each module in each DIMM slot, doesn't that only test the DIMM slot. For example, if one stick passed in slot 1, but failed in slot 2, wouldn't that rule out the stick, and make the mobo the issue?

Yes, it sure would. I generally move on to looking at that after checking the RAM. Sucks to have to replace a mobo though.

Cool, quicker and easier to replace. MOBO is always the last thing I test. It's the least likely thing to fail.

What 2 different diagnostics do you run?

If you run each module in each DIMM slot, doesn't that only test the DIMM slot. For example, if one stick passed in slot 1, but failed in slot 2, wouldn't that rule out the stick, and make the mobo the issue?
I think the timings for each DIMM slot are slightly different because of the impedances of the copper circuit board traces, so a marginal stick might not work in the slowest slot, and it seems lots of sticks made with no-name chips are marginal (those that work fine at rated speeds always eventually crashed on me when overclocked even slightly). This is why I reject any stick that doesn't work in every slot.

I usually test with both MemTest86 and Gold Memory, but I'm not sure if the shareware version of the latter supports > 4GB.

I think the timings for each DIMM slot are slightly different because of the impedances of the copper circuit board traces, so a marginal stick might not work in the slowest slot, and it seems lots of sticks made with no-name chips are marginal (those that work fine at rated speeds always eventually crashed on me when overclocked even slightly). This is why I reject any stick that doesn't work in every slot.

I usually test with both MemTest86 and Gold Memory, but I'm not sure if the shareware version of the latter supports > 4GB.

Thanks. Im in the process of picking out RAM for my new rig I'm building. Going to be a core i5 2600k, either mATX or MAYBE mITX

Back