• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7870 or 7950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slynutcase

for single monitor 1080 res gaming, which do you think is the better card, want opinions, the price is fairly similar the 950 being slightly more pricy, which would be the better bet?

I would wait for the GTX 670 just so the competition can kick in the lower segment. For 1080p the 7870 is enough power. If you overclock the 7870 enough, performance will creep into the 7950-7970 range. For 1080p a 7870 is just fine enough. The $50 extra would be justifiable at a 2560 resolution but not as much in 1080p. If the games you play are Battlefield, Metro and Crysis and you really need 60fps then go with the 7950, if not then get a 7870.

+1 For the 7870. I imagine the stock 7870 will get you 60fps on maximum eyecandy mode in any game in 1080p. If not, make sure you get one with nice aftermarket cooler and then overclock until your needs are met! :)

7950 3 gbs of vram and you wont have to upgrade for years :). as it is 2gbs is starting to get small if your into games like skyrim/bf3/crysia with hd textures

2gbs of VRAM is fine for any single monitor setup especially 1080p. You'll be lucky to have that amount of VRAM in a card be the bottleneck. Eyefinity can even get by with 2gb of VRAM. Performance is mainly GPU and the 7950 has a superior one but it's more expensive and is pretty much overkill.

My 7850 can max out BF3 at Ultra at 1920X1080 at over 50fps aslong as you are comfortable at overclocking. 7870 is overpriced, 7950 is decent but still expensive.

seriously .
if you run stock wait for nvidia

if your like me and oc stuff. go hard on the ati cards overclock your max and be happy as a pig in ****!

thanks for the replys, i may wait to see what the 670 offers up to the table, im fairly comfortable with oc'ing gpu's but it will be good to see what performance the 670 has first i guess.

for single monitor 1080 res gaming, which do you think is the better card, want opinions, the price is fairly similar the 950 being slightly more pricy, which would be the better bet?

If you expect the video card to run games for the next 2-3 yrs well @ 1080p grab the Radeon 7950 or Nvidia 670.

I truly believe that games will be using more vram in the next few years. Graphics in games look great it's just the higher resolution textures that can improve. At least until some new Direct X 12 comes out

Back