• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$2-$3K budget,afraid I7 3770K 32gb 1600 will be too slow. Need to order ASAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unverified

I need to buy a new rig today. Need to stay under $3K.
Current rig is i5 with 16K, and it is excessively slow. Don't game, but need dual DVI.

My current application consumes every drop of 16 gigs RAM. Only uses 5-25% of CPU, but everything freezes while app is running …Any ideas on how much SSD cache would help?

I have heard rumors that that next gen boards like ASUS P8Z77-V Premium might be more efficent with dual 32. Problem is , I need to order today.

MY APPLICATION:
MS SQL Calculation intensive (think Google, on a budget),

Looking for any and all ideas on components, configuration, or general suggestions.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like the CPU is the bottleneck, have you tried getting 32GB of RAM for that system? That will be the most beneficial it seems, then you can see if you need a new CPU after without spending that much money (RAM is cheap nowadays).

Also you should be able to overclock the 2500K to at least 4GHz maintaining very good stability, but at the moment it isn't holding you back judging from the CPU usage. Also how multi-threaded is it? If the program can only use a limited amount of threads then it won't benefit from many cores obviously.

If the program fits inside of 32GB then I can't imagine it being any quicker except for launching or initially loading the data with an SSD as a primary drive/cache. The cache will work really well for loading it into the RAM if it is always the same data each time, although getting an SSD to store it on rather than act as cache will always mean it is quicker to access.

My current application consumes every drop of 16 gigs RAM. Only uses 5-25% of CPU, but everything freezes while app is running …Any ideas on how much SSD cache would help?

Pretty sure the more threads the better for MS SQL Enterprise 64bit but Unverified will have to confirm that..

What do you think? 1 thread...

I think the OP should just get 16GB more ram. His system slows to a crawl because all the ram is being used up.

@Unverified
An SSD would help greatly in the event that your system used the page file heavily, something that happens pretty quickly once you are over ~90% ram usage.

Last edited:
3930 $600
MB $350
64 GB memory $500
2 Samsung 830 512 SSD $1400
Cooler Master 212 Evo $40

Use you same case, graphics card, and PSU. If your programs take up less than a TB you can go cheaper on the SSD's This is just a rough outline, but it would make for one hell of a rig!

The LGA2011 platform has mobos with 8 slots of ram. If ram is the problem, you can get a 6 core with 8x8gb = 64gigs of ram. That should do the trick.

The LGA2011 platform has mobos with 8 slots of ram. If ram is the problem, you can get a 6 core with 8x8gb = 64gigs of ram. That should do the trick.

I'd first upgrade the RAM, but if you are going whole hog and replacing the system entirely today, I'd also vote for White_Pawn's advice with going 2011. Hex core with 64GB of RAM and then see where that leaves you.

The problem I see, is that you know your usage consumed all the ram, but you don't know how much it would top out at. If your new rig also consumes all the ram, you could find yourself in the same situation where the OS effectively slows down to a lock.

RAM is definitely your problem currently.

My thanks to Eldonko, for starting things down the 3930 path, Robmoo, for his rig breakdown, BeepBeep2 for the SSD, White_Pawn for the 6 core with 8x8gb suggestion an, I.M.O.G. for his moral support of White_Pawn's 8x8 contribution.

Last edited:
Great recommendations so far. Sounds like you just need to get a beast CPU, the best Asus motherboard for that CPU, and the max amount of RAM.

I kind of took White_Pawn's lead and purchased a i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) with an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe - (2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E x16, 4x SATA 6Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0, On-Board Bluetooth)
64 GB [8 GB x8] DDR3-1600 (Corsair)
240 GB Intel 520 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 dual DVI
850 Watt Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2
Corsair Hydro Series H60
Antec P280 Gaming Case

Back