• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive vs Semi-passive PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glaucous

Heyo!

Building an Ivy Bridge system, consisting of 3570K and GFX 560 Ti, Corsair 550D, Noctua fans (low voltage), not planning on extreme OC, and therefor this won't be a very power hungry system.

I have three requirements for my PSU:

• Passive at idle
  • Efficient
  • ~400W
  • Modular

I've narrowed it down to Seasonic X-460FL 460W (Passive) and Corsair CMPSU-650AX 650W (Semi-passive).

They're both pretty much the same PSU (both Seasonic), and they've got the same price (in Sweden).
Both are dead silent at < 20%, efficient and ~400W (or well, more), although Corsair's got 7 year warranty. At 50% (I don't think I'll stress it more) Corsair runs at ~18 dB.

The question is if I'll ever be able to get the system quiet enough at load to make Corsair's fan a noticeable problem? 18 dB is quite low after all.

"Will 18 dB EVER be noticeable at load?" vs. "7 year warranty".

Heyo!

Building an Ivy Bridge system, consisting of 3570K and GFX 560 Ti, Corsair 550D, Noctua fans (low voltage), not planning on extreme OC, and therefor this won't be a very power hungry system.

I have three requirements for my PSU:

• Passive at idle
  • Efficient
  • ~400W
  • Modular

I've narrowed it down to Seasonic X-460FL 460W (Passive) and Corsair CMPSU-650AX 650W (Semi-passive).

They're both pretty much the same PSU (both Seasonic), and they've got the same price (in Sweden).
Both are dead silent at < 20%, efficient and ~400W (or well, more), although Corsair's got 7 year warranty. At 50% (I don't think I'll stress it more) Corsair runs at ~18 dB.

The question is if I'll ever be able to get the system quiet enough at load to make Corsair's fan a noticeable problem? 18 dB is quite low after all.

"Will 18 dB EVER be noticeable at load?" vs. "7 year warranty".

Your graphics card fan and system fans will make more noise that your power supply fan and I doubt you'll push that Corsair hard enough to make more noise than your graphics card.

Well it doesn't have to make more noise, just additional noise loud enough to increase the overall noise. I mean, one 16 dB source and one 18 dB source is still more than 18 dB.
Then again, that GPU cooler (DirectCU) can be as loud as 30-40 dB, and then the PSU's noise might/will probably drown. Might get better with some Accelero cooler though.

Edit: Okay, it does seem like a good Accelero runs at 36 dB, that'd result in 36.068 with the PSU.. doubt that'd be noticeable!

Last edited:
I would go with the Corsair. Passive PSUs still need airflow, they just depend on the case fans to get it.
I'd rather have the PSU actively tracking whether it thinks it needs active cooling or not and doing something about it if it does.

Back