• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC IB 3570k on Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lama604

Registered
I have been reading about heating problems with the new IB processors. I am going to purchase one in the next week and was planning on OCing (not to the extreme) on air. Does anybody have any input on this? Would I be better off with a Sandy?

Dont let the sandy die hards fool you. Ivy is the processor to go with. Over 4.5Ghz is when they start heating up. At or below they're fine

I second Ivy, unless you find an outrageously cheap alternative... -Microcenter has the slickest deals!-
Increased IPC and memory ocing plus pcie3.0 are all nice features.
You can't go wrong with the Microcenter 3570k plus discounted mobo deal!

I wouldnt call it a heat "problem", the chips just run hotter than SB after a certain point, probably around 4.5Ghz and upwards. Shouldnt stop you from buying though, still better perf than SB all around.

I wouldnt call it a heat "problem", the chips just run hotter than SB after a certain point, probably around 4.5Ghz and upwards. Shouldnt stop you from buying though, still better perf than SB all around.

+1. It's not a 'problem' because they can take the heat. If you're concerned about one or two hundred MHz top OC (which is offset somewhat by performance gains), Sandy may be better. All of the other benefits make Ivy the better choice.

If you already have a SNB processor, moving to IVB may not be worth it. In all other cases, IVB is the one to go with IMHO.

Yeah, I go with this statement 100%. With the 3770K I got yesterday, up to 4.5 with premium cooling isn't bad. I haven't pushed it further than that yet. But I also noted that to get to 4.5 I had to start ramping up vcore already, just as with SB. So I'm not real sure that IB will give much higher 24/7 clocks that SB will already give, due to heat issues. I also have a 3570K that should come in today and plan to test it versus a 2500K already set up in another system. The 2500K is perfectly comfortable running a 24/7 overclock at 4.7 with good temps. I will see how my 3570K will fare as compared to it.

One thing I did note with the 3770K system is that load wattage dropped a little over 40 watts at 4.5 as compared to the 2600K I pulled out of the system. Nothing else in the system changed except the processor and the voltages required to get stable at 4.5.

That's some really cool info Mudd!
Keep those comin' :D
Memory overclocking looks nice too, but I doubt it will affect real world performance all that much.
What do you think?

To tell the truth, unless you buy some very very expensive ram you won't see any improvement in ram clocking, at least in my experience. I have 2 kits of this Ripjaws X DDR3-2133 ram which is running on the 3770K system as well as the 2600K that was in it before the 3770K and both were able to run that ram at it's rated timings and speed with all 4 sticks installed. I haven't tried seeing how much further I can push that ram with either processor though.

Doubt it is worth it, except perhaps for benching purposes...for the standard gaming build I'd think 1600mhz cl9 should be plenty still and for quite some time.
But, yeah, seeing 3ghz ram clocks must be fun :p

Dont let the sandy die hards fool you. Ivy is the processor to go with. Over 4.5Ghz is when they start heating up. At or below they're fine

it isnt about die hard Sb people fooling him its about IB running hotter and intel being cheap using TIM and not fluxless solder. the point is at the moment, if you plan to OC you can probs get similar performance from a Sb than a IB, with lower temps too.

There was a 3-7% increase across the board with IB over SB. So lets call it 5%. So people are getting to about 4.6 with the IB chips on high end air coolers/ all in ones like the h100, before their IB is getting into the 80's, and tbh even those with custom loops are struggling past 4.8ghz. which seems to be around the max unless you want to push 5ghz and hit 90-100c.

So lets do a very simple example ( it wont be accurate but youll get the idea why people are still sticking with SB CPUs.)

You have a 4.6ghz clock on an IB and you want the same performance out of the SB youll need an extra 5-10% OC. So youll need to be anywhere between 4.8ghz and 5ghz. Both of which are very possible on high end air coolers and most likely will have better temps than an IB setup.

All im saying is that going for an IB at the moment feels like a waste when there is so much more potential in the chip if the heat was sorted out. Hopefully with a later revision ( which im waiting for) well see the heat issues remedied and then that will be the time to buy. Not to mention prices will most likely have dropped.

I've never bought the first revision of a CPU because it always more trouble than its worth. I want an IB badly and it isnt about being a die hard SB fanboy, its about being a bit more reserved and clever about your purchase and getting the most out of your money.( although i know its easier said than done most times) Rather than running head first into it like an excited child just because you want the newest thing ASAP, and then defending a shoddily put together bit of equipment just because you were too impatient to wait for the better version.

I'm not saying SB is a better chip, im just saying the IB isnt worth it until they have sorted the TIM/solder issues. As an enthusiast chip its a poor effort by intel, and something that could be remedied so easily

Last edited:
^ +1

You sir are speaking like my own mind... Although i would LOVE to switch my AMD 965 BE to a IB 3570K system..... i'm holding myselve back from buying one at this moment and hoping for a soldered IHS or another heat fix on next revision.

Back