• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problematic cooling options in bios of DFI nF4 motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Now, in the bios of DFI's nF4 SLI motherboards (in my experience the SLI-DR and SLI-DR Expert boards) there is a section under the PC Health Status menu where you can configure when the fans spin up to 100% based upon the heat level of certain components.

I've been trying to configure the settings in the "PC Health Status" submenu so that I can run my fans at 100% all the time so that my system will run cooler, but haven't yet found any successful solution.

Currently in the bios of my boards I have them configured to:
CPUFan Fully ON if CPUTemp >25°C
CPUFan Turn OFF If CPUTemp <25°C
FAN 2 Fully ON If PWMTemp >25°C
FAN 2 Turn OFF If PWMTemp <25°C
NB Fan Fully ON If NB Temp >25°C
NB Fan Turn OFF If NB Temp <25°C

A problem I'm running into is that my CPU fan will randomly stop spinning entirely (and my CPU Temp is in no danger of going below 25°C), and when it does my mosfets/VRM's/PWM's start heating up because they are primarily cooled by the exhaust of my CPU's fan as the air comes down against the board thereby cooling the nearby components and heatsinks. I think part of my problem here is that it is in fact sensing my CPU socket temp and not the core temp, which I was watching in CPUID HWMonitor, and every time this went below 25°C my fan would shut down causing the system to start heating up. Another problem with this is that when it does this my CPU is in fact at 40-45°C.

Is there any way to disable the thermal fan speed features on these DFI boards so that they can be run at full speed all the time?

<25 >25 are the same electrical number and the board is going nuts trying to figure out what in the hale to do.

Set the > greater than to something like >40 for cpu and it will heat-up turn on and in my case stays on. YMMV.

<25 >25 are the same electrical number and the board is going nuts trying to figure out what in the hale to do.

Set the > greater than to something like >40 for cpu and it will heat-up turn on and in my case stays on. YMMV.

Tried that, didn't help though.

CPU fan won't even turn on half the time now, and it's no wonder, my socket temp is at 18-23°C, and that's what my OS is interpreting as being my CPU temp.

I increased the CPU Core Temperature Adjust to +8 and then the fan would finally turn on, but kept throttling wildly as the socket temp would go back and forth going above and below the threshold and would eventually shut off completely after a few minutes at idle.

Now going to try +10 to see if that will get the temperature sensor to read something high enough to keep the fan on.

Last edited:
Buy and adapter that will allow you to connect the fans directly to a 4 pin molex from PSU. That will bypass the problem.

Back