• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My foray into Starcraft2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also think what you consider lack of strategy the rest of us consider fundamentals...

example: I am a .8 k/d ratio COD player.... i used to think COD was just twitch reflexes, and i didn't have them, that's why i lost gun fights, thus that HAS to be all the game is about right?!?!?!

Wrong, that is a fundamental skill, it is basic to the game, im just not that good with a controller, but if you HAVE those fundamentals, there is a whole other side of the game, i use perks like slight of hand, hardline, steady aim, or stalker because they help me with fundamental flaws in my game, but good player, GOOD PLAYERS use completely different load outs because they dont NEED to crutches i do... and they use strategys on different maps, and different game types that i cannot use because i do not have the fundamentals...

When i first started paying SC2 i played toss, i was stuck in silver.... so i learned a legit consistent 4 gate, hey i hit gold, but then i got stuck, if my 4 gate failed, i was toast...

I learned from it and began doing a 4 gate but NEVER CUTTING PROBES, wow, now if it fails my econ is not shot, and i moved up a bit to mid gold and began losing to counter attacks

So now then i did my modified 4 gate but i began trying to assess how much damage i needed to do, i didnt suicide my army if it looked like an un winnable battle, or if i even needed to engage, i began thinking about how to use my 4 gate wisely and hit top 5 gold...

Finally i began fitting a forge into my 4 gate, now if i pull back with my 4 gate and do not engage, my econ is ok AND i can chrono out upgrades... plat came....

Then i added collosus and cut to a 3 gate
and learned a 2 gate fast expand that was able o hold most rushes...

When i started playing zerg is was a whole new skill set, it took me 2 months to realize how valuable each and every larvae was....

First i played Z like i played T and i never had the macro to properly play the race, if my first push fails i was soo far behind in econ i lost right there wether i knew it or not...

Then i went 180 degrees and macrod HARD, and woudl die to 1 drop from T and GG with 3K minerals an 1k gas but no way to spend it and no army.

Then i learned how to scout better and make decisions so i could macro hard but scrape together an army in a pinch to defend. I learned that muta harass is great but if they decide to base trade and i dont have spines i lose very quickly because army to army, my mutas suck without help.

i got to top 5 gold with Z using a combo of muta ling, or infestor roach, or broodlords, but my game steped up again when i used infested terrans, allll i had ever used infestors for was fungals... IT's are pretty sweet when used properly...

But i had ot FAIL and LOSE to learn all these lessons...

Makes sense, maybe I'm just not meant for 1v1. I seem to be too inept to adjust to this.

Oh well...

ill play 2v2 with you any time you want.... its all i ever play these days.... like i said, if you dont enjoy it, i understand 100%.... not all games are great for all players, shoot, i HATED Fallout 3 and apparently it was amazing.... snooze fest for me...

I'm gonna try it again. I probably came off as a whiny 12 year old but it seems like when I start winning it kicks me in the nuts.

Its like a 10 year old winning 5 games of H.O.R.S.E and so they throw him up against Micheal Jordan or Scottie Pippin....

I used to be high plat/low diamond in 2's, 3's and 4's and pretty much found that to get any better than that would take far more of a time commitment than I could give or was willing to give. I never did 1v1. I basically just accepted that the game is too hard for me and haven't played it for a few months, though I still follow the pro scene avidly. Might be a bad mentality, but I have far more important priorities than games...and SC2 is the kind of game that needs a tremendous amount of work if you really want to become good at it. You will find yourself whining like a 12 year old no matter what while playing it. There are just way too many ways to lose, and the skill cap is in reality extremely high.

Thanks Gautam, I think that's the point I was trying to get across.

I have a full time career and don't really have the ability to make SC2 my career or profession, I just want to have fun with it on occasion. :)

I used to be high plat/low diamond in 2's, 3's and 4's and pretty much found that to get any better than that would take far more of a time commitment than I could give or was willing to give. I never did 1v1. I basically just accepted that the game is too hard for me and haven't played it for a few months, though I still follow the pro scene avidly. Might be a bad mentality, but I have far more important priorities than games...and SC2 is the kind of game that needs a tremendous amount of work if you really want to become good at it. You will find yourself whining like a 12 year old no matter what while playing it. There are just way too many ways to lose, and the skill cap is in reality extremely high.

^ This ^

Even the pros sometimes whine like little kids. Just watch some of the Idra rage compilations on youtube (such at this one
probably nsfw btw because of language). He is one of the best players in the world and probably the best in North America and he flips out all the time. SC2 is just the type of game that can either be incredibly fun or insanely frustrating.

Back