• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1500 build, seeking eyes before I pull the trigger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ketch

Hi all, looking to build my first computer and I'm seeking advice before I take the plunge and buy all the parts. It's a gaming rig, MW, BF3, D3, and maybe GW2 when it drops. I do plan to overclock.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz ($220)
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB ($400)
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 ($140)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK-140 CPU Cooler w. Dual 140mm Fans ($60)
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 ($140)
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 850w ($130)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA III ($125)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 ($90)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 ($100)
Sound: ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 ($24)
Peripherals: Cannibalize
$1529 total

So the concerns:
Have I made any errors with compatibility? Are there any gains I could make with better parts - without breaking the bank? The power supply, is 850w overkill? I'd eventually like to take the 2500k to 5GHz or close to it - though I realize the cooler I've chosen might not hack it for that. As far as upgrading the CPU to IB, I'd rather stick with SB and wait to upgrade until heat issues are resolved or proven unfounded. Any/all notes appreciated :)

i wouldn't get the crucial SSD it has slow write speeds compared to most others. i would get this its cheaper and much faster for write speeds http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236
also dont know if you just prefer radeon's but you could get a GTX 580 for the same price as the 7950 and get a little more performance the gtx is a PCI-E 2.0 card and the 7950 is a PCI-E 3.0 but nether card will even saturate a 16x PCI-E 2 lane so it wont matter

The power supply, is 850w overkill?

According to Thermaltake's PSU calculator, you could manage with about half that much PSU. I wouldn't necessarily cut it back by half, but 850 is definitely overkill. You might want to cut it back a bit if you can save enough money to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the words to you both. I'm dropping the power supply down to 750w, and with the bit of cash saved there I've decided to go with a better SSD, the Samsung 830 series. As for the vid card, yeah, I just prefer radeon. Ordering everything Friday, so if anyone has more imput before then feel free to chime in :)

Go with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU cooler. Probs the best air cooler out there. Probs even edges it over the noctua. Also you can get different colours. Which is always nice

With the money your saving and if you want to hit 5 GHZ your not going to do it with a air cooler. This kit is a think 240 should should fit on the top of the case. Also i would wait for the upcoming price drops on the amd cards due to the release of the 670 (should come out on the 10th i think). Here is the link. Its a good kit and you could eventually cool your GPU if your really wanted. Also the 932 has a cool fill port on the top of the case so it makes it easy to fill your res. With the money you save on the psu and use the money that you where going to spend on the cpu cooler this should cover it.

+ 1 for the kit if you can afford it! Youll need to add another 240 rad at least if you add you gpu to the loop though. ( + it will cost another $100+ for the gpu block rad and extra tubing/fitting!)

Back