• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell XPS 430 Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

misternumberone

I'd like to know if it is possible to Use dual GPUs in AMD CrossfireX on the motherboard of a Dell XPS 430. Now, I know your first thought will be; THE PSU ISNT GOOD ENUFF! but I'm not using a normal XPS 430. Look @ my sig. Next, I know that the XPS 430 only has one x16 PCIe slot, but Cutting out the back of its x8 slot lets a x16 card fit, and work, in x8 mode, which isn't really a lot worse than x16 mode. I know that the X48 chipset, more importantly the ICH9R Southbridge, is capable of dual x16 CFX. Running dual x8 or 1 x16 1 x8 should be possible on it. I' going to try it myself as soon as I figure out a safe way to cut out the back of my slot without damaging the board. Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this before. I intend on Dual Radeon HD 4890s Overclocked.
I currently use a single overclocked 4890. Yeah, I know, 550 watts Isn't enough for dual 4890s, but I have a 650Watt ready to slap in if the CF works.

I've ordered a flexible 8X to 16X adapter after realizing that it's the most practical way to do this. It should come soon and then I'll update.

Back