• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flat Panel Monitor - Where to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol
I wouldn't notice it either, being an old school shooter...and never had a social life back then when I was playing Blood 1 and 2 :p
I'm getting one of these next month! :D
A 27" Dell ips panel similar to these costs u$s1800 here...so go figure :D

New to the world of flat panels. Why does a good sniper need 90-120fps ? Is it because the screen if less, that means the screen isn't refreshing fast enough, and your target is out of sight?? Just trying to figure out how the technology impacts gameplay. Again, never had to worry about this w/CRTs! Jeez, for a technology that has been all the rage for the past few years, it SURE has a lot of issues compared to a CRT. I'm not impressed at all.

Except when I see a HD signal on a HD TV :D

ive seen plenty of competitive CSS players playing on CRt's with 75hz, even a couple of years ago. tbh i think it wont make a difference over 60 fps. in terms of smoothness ive played on both 60 and 120 and it will make little or no difference. it only really comes into play if you are playing 3d games really

I know I've tried my current screen at 85Hz and saw no difference from it on 60Hz..... I dropped it back to 60Hz as I figured it'd be easier on the screen.

Best buy even has a 23" lg e-ips 1080p monitor in the add this week for 199, so theres a pretty good chance you could see it in action at the store, and buy it on the spot if ya like it.

Well, hopefully I'll receive my screen this week. It looks like it's on its way:

Departed from DHL facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 09:30 AM, HONG KONG
Processed at Location HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 08:54 AM, HONG KONG
Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 04:42 AM, HONG KONG
Arrived at DHL facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 03:27 AM, HONG KONG
Departed from DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 22:17 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Processed at Location INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 21:39 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Arrived at DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 21:03 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Shipment on hold, May-04-12, 21:03 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Departed from DHL facility in SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 20:59 PM, SEOUL
Processed at Location SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 19:48 PM, SEOUL
Shipment picked up, May-04-12, 17:32 PM, SEOUL

The screen is 6ms anyway so easily fast enough for gaming. I'd prefer the better picture quality of the S-IPS screen anyway

Last edited:
Well, hopefully I'll receive my screen this week. It looks like it's on its way:

Departed from DHL facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 09:30 AM, HONG KONG
Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 04:42 AM, HONG KONG
Arrived at DHL facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG, May-05-12, 03:27 AM, HONG KONG
Departed from DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 22:17 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Processed at Location INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 21:39 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Arrived at DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 21:03 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL
Departed from DHL facility in SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 20:59 PM, SEOUL
Processed at Location SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.), May-04-12, 19:48 PM, SEOUL

The screen is 6ms anyway so easily fast enough for gaming. I'd prefer the better picture quality of the S-IPS screen anyway

I've read positive things about the Catleap....Is that what you bought?

Yes, got a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE for $320 Australian. I'm hoping its defect free although at this price, even if it has a dead pixel I can't really complain. It's in the same price range as TN screens here in Australia. ;)

I'm hoping that the image quality of these screens match those of Apple screens as others have stated. They are definitely beautiful displays. Funny thing is that I already had a 27" TN screen that I'd only purchased 2 weeks ago for $299. Sold it to a mate for $150 to get rid of it quickly so I could buy the Catleap. ;)

Currently showing as here in Brisbane so it's shipping is impressively fast considering I only purchased it last Thursday afternoon

Clearance processing complete at BRISBANE - AUSTRALIA, May-06-12, 06:51 AM, BRISBANE
Arrived at DHL facility in BRISBANE - AUSTRALIA, May-06-12, 06:21 AM, BRISBANE

Anyway, I guess if I recieve it today or tomorrow I'l let you know of my impressions once set up :D

Hopefully it won't cause the usual behaviour in my household that the presence of a Cat usually causes..... Hand me that shotgun..... :p

I think I can hijack my own thread, being the OP.

So I heard from Corsair after my memory failed, I HAD 1 gig of XMS Platinum. That isn't made any more, so they are sending me 2 gigs of XMS Platinum. I'm psyched. I hope it all works and holds me over till my new build.

I think I can hijack my own thread, being the OP.

So I heard from Corsair after my memory failed, I HAD 1 gig of XMS Platinum. That isn't made any more, so they are sending me 2 gigs of XMS Platinum. I'm psyched. I hope it all works and holds me over till my new build.

No way, thread hijacker! :p

Nice win dude. So, they're sending a complete set? How much RAM all up?

Ok, my screen has been delivered. I'll let you know how it works out when I get home from work in 6 hours.

Ok, got the monitor set up. I have to say this thing is absolutely AMAZING. Picture quality is absolutely gorgeous and I'd have to say the base is actually better than that found on most screens in its price range. Playing Battlefield 3 is almost like playing a whole new game. It gives the game far more depth and effects look much more impressive than before. I'd have to say this purchase is one of the best I've ever made, on par with my Silverstone TJ04-W :D

My only gripe is a single stuck/dead pixel in the top right hand corner of my screen however it is actually barely noticeable. I intend on running JScreenFix for a few hours whenever I can be bothered getting around to it to see if this comes good.

No way, thread hijacker! :p

Nice win dude. So, they're sending a complete set? How much RAM all up?

Yah, I scored 2 new sticks. I sent them 2 sticks of 512, THEY are sending me 2 sticks of 1gig! So total of 2 gigs. It will be enough to keep my old computer going.

Hmm.. well I think I'm going to wait on the monitor. I'm hoping by the time I start ordering parts and putting the new rig together, LG will start selling the screens here. They were dropped in May out in the Far East, as you now have one.

I'm probably going to wait till they arrive in the USA that way I can get one locally, I'm too worried about dead pixels. Plus, I'd like to see one in person too.

On another note, I read about people making deals with Dell, getting their 30incher for only $1050 (including 5 yr warranty)

So will a cheap one. LCDs just keep on truckin

Why get a decked out top of the line computer and then ruin the **** out of it with a 100$ monitor? Why don't I just go out and buy a mustang and put toyota corolla wheels on that badboy? :)

I was leaning towards the dell u2412M for a while as what I thought was the best deal but I think I may hold out and keep shopping. I never got thee 100% good to buy vibe from it so I passed on it.

Why get a decked out top of the line computer and then ruin the **** out of it with a 100$ monitor? Why don't I just go out and buy a mustang and put toyota corolla wheels on that badboy? :)

I was leaning towards the dell u2412M for a while as what I thought was the best deal but I think I may hold out and keep shopping. I never got thee 100% good to buy vibe from it so I passed on it.

The main reason is I don't want to buy a great monitor from someone who lives in Korea off of eBay! The same monitor tech is supposed to be released in the USA by LG later this year. I'd rather buy local if possible in case something goes wrong. Or at minimum buy from Newegg etc.

Back