• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any home made dust filters I can make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hello there,
I have an Antec 1200 with dust filters that I clean regularly but yesterday I installed a H80 and now I have one intake not covered with filter plus it is the one watercooling my CPU :)

So any ideas? I have read a bit and some people recommended "nylon socks" (no idea if it is called that way according to google translate it is called pantyhose or stockings)

Anyway what do you guys think? I think I would prefer something outside the case as it would be easier to clean.

Thank you for your time!

The issue with dust filters is that the better they trap dust, the more restrictive they are to airflow. I can stop all the dust from getting into your fan with a steel plate, but it'll also stop all the air. By the same token, I can also let all the air through with some really loose mesh, but it won't stop much dust. What you need to do is find an acceptable balance.

Medical Gauze works.

double gauze it.. tape it down on the sides.
Certain brands you can double and double it until you reach your desire level of filtering.

cheap and easy to buy.

Nylons/ panty hoes. Just stretch them over the fan body and put a rubber band on for good measure.

Edit: that's what I get for only reading the OP Mudd beat me to it. :p

Yeah, stockings or pantyhose would work well, but you will have to clean it often because it will clog up fast with dust.

Listen to the man in Green, he's that color for a reason.

His experience. :thup:

The OP says "make", right?

:blah:

:fight:

medical gauze under the panty hose works really nice too.

I assume the H80 is running on the back fan mount, it should be used as an exhaust normally so a filter for it would not be necessary.

Did you turn the second fan spot into an intake?

I have a dusty house - 1 fluffy kitty and 1 very large dog that is constantly in and out of an all dirt backyard in a drought stricken area of Florida which, means that dirt has been churned into fine dust. The point here is, lots-o-dust! I've tried a lot of schemes to keep it out of my pc. Ultimate goal: free-flowing and dust limiting.

One thing I've found is; too free-flowing, with holes too big in your filter, it will gradate the dust, allowing only the finest particles through. I won't go into my theory behind it but, this situation KILLS FANS! I know this to be true so, don't argue about it!:)

An example of this degree of filtration below: it's the black foam on the right side of pic (top pic). It's sold as a pre filter for window unit a/c (WalMart).

The best thing I've found for good filtration vs. free flowing is from the cheaper, low end line of pleated furnace filters. The cheaper ones are designed to not, catch the smallest particle size but, for pc fan intakes, it's good enough. My current rig has been up for a few years now. I went to clean it once and just gave up for lack of any real accumulation.

The best pic I have of this is the one on the bottom below. As you can see, it has a nice chicken wire like reinforcement on the back side to keep it out of your fans. Just cut it out of the cardboard frame it comes in and flatten it out. You can use some of the black foam stuff I mentioned before if it will show from the outside (so you don't have white filter showing). Just put it between the filter and the grate, tape it all in (masking tape is good enough) and it completely hides the white part with no loss of flow (that foam poses practically zero restriction). Currently, I have one radiator behind this combination, with fans pulling in at about 800 rpm and still has enough flow. Just vacuum the outside every now and then. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC_0003.1.jpg
    DSC_0003.1.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 16,977
  • DSC_0007.1.jpg
    DSC_0007.1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19,002
My mom has really bad allergies/asthma, and she's found that quilt batting in the air vents makes a good difference. This stuff can be found super cheap and any place with fabric crafting supplies and will have a reasonable air flow. Thicker stuff will restrict/catch more. There are probably better solutions out there, like what WhoFarted suggested. It depends a little on how much you want to spend/customize.

You brought back the dead Alia. This thread is from 2012. No worries though.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

Back