• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worthy to upgrade i7 920 @ 4.2 to Ivy Bridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerHunter

I am wondering if anyone has seen any clock for clock benchmarks so I can see if it's worth it. It's my understanding 4.5Ghz will be easily achieved with the Ivy Bridge so I'll can probably add 10% right off the bat but how much faster is Ivy Bridge clock for clock?

Its worth it. SB was a significant step up over Nehalem chips like you have, and IB is a minor jump above SB...sooooo yeah.

Just make sure you have top notch air to hit 4.5ghz as the IB chips run a lot warmer.

There are better, but if it will fit in the socket (its mounting hardware I mean), it will work. :)

I went hunting around google and I may be wasting my money. What do you say about this earthdog?

http://www.overclock.net/t/905206/official-sandy-bridge-news-reviews-thread/260#post_11887175

All I need horsepower for is games. After saying I won't run 5Ghz with an ivy bridge I figure I won't see much at all.

I wish these review sites would be more comprehensive and include last 4-5 gens of CPUs so you know whether upgrade was worth it but that's all I found.

Notice in Bad company 2 Nehalem is a actually beating Sandy Bridge at same Mhz.

I wouldn't say worth it completely. I typically switch between AMD and Intels when I do upgrades that usually require me to turn over the entire system. To me... it's not worth an upgrade if your current hardware still works just fine, and or nothing else -completely- blows what you have already out of the water. Other wise, I'd be paying five hundred every half a year. From what I have seen in average, that this has been mostly a fourth better then previous generations. I may be reading things wrong however, I'd wait till something is at least double the performance of another.

If you were waiting for double the performance, you must upgrade every few years as it takes time to literally double.

Like I mentioned earlier, Nehalem to SB was a significant CPC upgrade, then SB to IB was still an improvement, but not that much.

I pulled the trigger anyway. Since I had to get new video card I said WTH its only like $350 + ram extra. Speaking of which 8 or 16 these days? I run 6 now.

If you want to do a lot of multitasking might as well go 16 with how dirt cheap RAM is right now. But if your just going to run a game and even a few things in the background 8 is fine.

I dont know how much it speeds things up because im used to my computer being normal and everyone elses being slow as hell, but win7 will cache a whole lot of stuff in ram if you have the space. With 16gigs of ram ive seen it cache upwards of 6gb of info. Was it really noticable over 8, not really, but its nice to know I have it. Im half tempted to throw another 16gb in just so I can have a 20-24 gb ramdrive to play with. I bet skyrims load times would be pretty nice :D

Back