• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone go over 2 GB's of Vram! post here :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FinalBoss

Registered
So i'm kind of doing a survey, Let me know if in any game you have gone over 2 GB's of Vram. Obviously this excludes a lot of cards cause only so many even have over 2 GB's.

Note this includes modding any game with texture packs, as I don't believe any "stock" game will use over 2 GB's unless your on 2560x1600 resolution, with some extreme AA and AF.

So post your resolution, whether your using AA, game, and if your using texture packs.

personally I think anyone heavily modding skyrim will hit the highest number.

Also I'm mostly interested in non-3d Single monitor set-ups, but by all means post if your using triple or 3d.

Last edited:
What happens when you exceed your VRAM?

I only have 756 gtx 460, and you will start to get stutters whenever you see a new scene that requires the game to load up new textures. So if i'm staring at one direction getting 50 fps, as soon as I do a 180 I'll drop to a stutter like 15 fps, then back up to 50 once the new textures are done loading.

in other words it will kill your performance even if you have a strong enough card.

That's interesting. I only have 1GB of VRAM and that never happens to me in BF3. My card does not like Operation Metro though lol. Patiently awaiting my 7850.

Depending on how many ridiculous mods you have in Skyrim, I would bet you could get it up there. My install uses about 1.4GB.

It depends on your settings. If you run at 1920x1080 with settings at Ultra (4xAA) chances are you should experience that. Lower settings/res your tendency to see that behavior drops significantly.

If you tell me how I can measure this, I'll be glad to test it out on my 7850 when it arrives (by playing BF3).

Using afterburner will tell you with its monitoring application

Measure FPS? There are a couple of ways.

1. Fraps
2. in game, drop down the console and type "render.drawfps 1" (without the quotes)
3. MSI AB will log FPS and show them in a graph as well. That may be the best way

We have tested this before in BF3 in another thread. BF3 over 1GB, seems to use a lot of ram at those settings. I had a 1.5GB 580 and it ran fine using 1.2GB. Same settings/map/people but with a 680 2GB and it uses 1.8GB.

Oh I meant measure the RAM usage. I use FRAPS to measure frames. I'm a noob at this stuff. Why is it that the 580's RAM doesn't get maxed out. What is the rationale?

I think he means vram usage, which afterburner can do as well

I did (mean vram)... and thank you. MSI AB should be the best as it will log FPS and ram usage and you can likely see some jumpyness in the FPS once the frame buffer (vram) gets used up.

No idea why it went that way on the 580, but in the thread we discussed this same concern/question, it worked out that way. Let me see if I can find it........

EDIT: Found it - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702655

Last edited:
That's interesting. I only have 1GB of VRAM and that never happens to me in BF3. My card does not like Operation Metro though lol. Patiently awaiting my 7850.

I have 1GB of vRAM and i'm getting a fairly constant 45 - 50 FPS on all maps other than Metro, there it jumps up and down from 35 to 60 erratically. if i turn VSYNC off it jumps around between 35 and 70

I think its the close quarters where there is so much going on that its refreshing the vRAM almost constantly, but you should not have any issues at all with a 7850 as that has 2GB vRAM.

PS: my vRAM is reading about 940MB constantly on any map.

Last edited:
guys bf3 has a pretty smart engine that seems to use an amount based on your total vram. but set everything to ultra with some AA. and you will Max out a gb easy :). most games though don't do this though.

now anyone with skyrim? download every texture pack possible and give us some readings :). also if you have evga their precision software will monitor your vram usage. I have a g19 keyboard so I can get readings easily while in game.

Back