• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher Base block or Higher Multiplier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on the system in particular. but baseclock 99% of the time

990x cpu
I have it clocked @ 4.2ghz with 1.28v temps are 60 full load(water setup)
I left the base clock at factory settings just changed the multiplier

Ram is corsair vengeance 1600 1.5v 24gb
Ram seems to run hot as hell even at 1.51v
Dram core is set to auto

I think the ram overheated or the memory controller because I shut it off and went to restart and it did nothing not even post for like 20 mins
Ram was so hot I could not touch even the heat spreaders

WOW. yeah on X58 BCLK for the win.. but if your RAM is overheating wow... havent seen that since BH-5 days :)

In fact that RAM is why heatspreaders and active cooling for RAM is WHY we still have it now on all ram even though it is unneeded. Well that, and it lets companies hide what chips are being used.

I took the heatspreaders OFF my corsair vengeance 1600 1.5v 9-9-9 sticks. Because they are crappy little aluminum do nothing spreaders.

I would address that issue first. RMA if necessary. 1.5v ram does not need active cooling.

WOW. yeah on X58 BCLK for the win.. but if your RAM is overheating wow... havent seen that since BH-5 days :)

In fact that RAM is why heatspreaders and active cooling for RAM is WHY we still have it now on all ram even though it is unneeded. Well that, and it lets companies hide what chips are being used.

I took the heatspreaders OFF my corsair vengeance 1600 1.5v 9-9-9 sticks. Because they are crappy little aluminum do nothing spreaders.

I would address that issue first. RMA if necessary. 1.5v ram does not need active cooling.

What sort of temps should the ram even be at and is there anyway(software based) to test?

No software way based to test unless you have something like the Crucil ballistix elite that includes a thermal sensor on it.

Otherwsie have to strap a probe to it or use an IR sensor or something.

If your RAM is getting hot it is not right. Something is going wrong. Contact your RAM manufacturer for details cuz honestly if it is getting that hot, I cant imagine even accidentally sending 2V to it would do it. I have pushed 1.85v through sticks with a tiny *** heat spreader and they dont barely get warm. Even hypers that get warm dont get hot. Of course we add fans to them to push them through 2000+ at 6cas just because it is expected.

EDIT: I pulled the heatspreaders OFF of my corsair vengeance because honestly..they do NOTHING.

I can send you my useless heatspreaders if you need them (only 2 though lol)

EDIT EDIT: sorry for being smarmy. I just mean if you RAM is getting hot there is something wrong, BIOS setting might change it, but I cant see anything about your setup that is saying it is not a design flaw. I have only pushed 240 BCLK on x58 though ..

Put a fan on it or send it back.

Last edited:
I have an asus rampage 3 black edition mobo if that matters

Anyway I set the base clock to 200 and set the ram to 1600 and the cpu speed to 4200
Voltage is the same 1.28

have you ever overclocked a 990x?
What would be a good safe voltage?

I have an asus rampage 3 black edition mobo if that matters

Anyway I set the base clock to 200 and set the ram to 1600 and the cpu speed to 4200
Voltage is the same 1.28

have you ever overclocked a 990x?
What would be a good safe voltage?

I have not OCed a 990X but they are pretty durable chips unless you freeze them. I know guys that have benched them TRYING to kill them on air at 1.55-1.6volts and did not succeed

I would say "safe" voltage is where your temps stay under control. Summer is coming so have that to deal with...

Back